Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #16

Ok so I’m back to check on this thread finally.

The manual’s spec for chain slack is 1/2” - 1” on the length below the swing arm WITHOUT the rider on the bike. Which I managed to do by allowing for a little “take-up” after observing the chain tension increase as I tightened the axle nut. Thanks ProDigit for the explanation- I hadn’t realized that was happening.

Another (and previously unmentioned) observation: when rolling the bike, the chain tension will vary from too tight to having acceptable slack, which I believe supports my bent axle (or output shaft) hypothesis. Does it not? I will try to check runout on these tomorrow if I find time.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
This and TominMOs response do not adress the fact that OP sez it gets TIGHTER while riding.

Give the OP a break. It is tightening After he thinks he has set the adjusters to the spec (~2 to 2.5cm flex). Some swingarms are broad when loose, they come together pushing the axel back. This could easily result in chain tensioning.

So start LOOSER, and once the axel bolt is tensioned, maybe tension will be OK.
Yes. It seems to be tightening during operation, as I have set it to spec per the manual, however after use it has become too tight.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I really like this guy's method. Since I started using the "rag in the chain" method, I've had a MUCH easier time getting my chain adjusted. I also do the adjustment while on the side-stand, so I go for 30-35mm, the upper end of the adjustment range called for on the Hawk 250.

I am using this method as well

Old Today, 12:03 AM   #19

[QUOTE=Thumper;412586]
Quote:
It is tightening After he thinks he has set the adjusters to the spec (~2 to 2.5cm flex)
Yes

Old Today, 01:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Yeah, my understanding is the same. A chain doesn't keep tightening when riding.
My understanding was that he set the chain up correctly when working on it, and then noticed while riding that it was tight.
Apparently, the claim is that it DOES tighten while riding it. I don't know how that happens. The axel would have to move back. Pushbacks overtightened maybe??? I don't get it.

Old Today, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
The funny thing is that you can't actually notice that it is tighter while riding it. I mean it is physically impossible

But, I guess that you can observe it getting tighter when your son sits on it
Not true.
I can feel chain tension with my finger when I'm sitting on the bike.
The advantage of a taller person.
Now, I won't do it when I'm riding.