Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #1

Chain keeps tightening

The chain on my son’s 70cc keeps tightening while riding. It’s a 2021 SSR that I bought new a couple of months ago. Yesterday I replaced the stock chain with a pro taper as it seemed the stock chain was binding, but clearly something else is going on.

Today I’m going to check the axle for straightness and the spacers for 90 degrees.

Is there anything else recommended to check?

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #2

Engine mounting bolts.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM   #3

Maybe the axel pushes back when you tighten the axel bolt (swingarms push back)???

Try setting it loose, then tighten the axel bolt.

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #4

Most likely is that your procedure for tightening the chain is incorrect.

When the swingarm is horizontal, parallel to the ground, the chain is at its tightest--i.e. the rear sprocket is at its greatest distance from the front sprocket. Anything above or below horizontal, and the rear sprocket is closer to the front one. Simple geometry. The mistake many people make is adjusting it without a rider on the bike, and the swingarm is hanging down at a 30 degree angle or something, not level. So then it tightens as it goes up to level, with a rider on board.

Make your adjustment, then check it with your son sitting on the bike. With experience, you will know how much slack to leave in without him on it.

As far as checking whether the axle is straight, the foolproof method is to measure, on both sides, the distance from the center of the swingarm pivot bolt in front to the center of the rear axle nut. Obviously you should get the same number.

Here is a good video on adjusting your chain:

1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle. Nope, finally retired.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #5

Agree with above,
Also, when you have the correct chain tension (1-1.25"), and tighten the rear wheel axle, the chain will tighten by about 1/4th to 1/2 in.
This is due to the arms (rear fork legs) bending towards one another, and the wheel axle being moved backwards as a result.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Agree with above,
Also, when you have the correct chain tension (1-1.25"), and tighten the rear wheel axle, the chain will tighten by about 1/4th to 1/2 in.
This is due to the arms (rear fork legs) bending towards one another, and the wheel axle being moved backwards as a result.
This and TominMOs response do not adress the fact that OP sez it gets TIGHTER while riding.

Give the OP a break. It is tightening After he thinks he has set the adjusters to the spec (~2 to 2.5cm flex). Some swingarms are broad when loose, they come together pushing the axel back. This could easily result in chain tensioning.

So start LOOSER, and once the axel bolt is tensioned, maybe tension will be OK.

Old Today, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
This and TominMOs response do not address the fact that OP sez it gets TIGHTER while riding.

Give the OP a break. It is tightening After he thinks he has set the adjusters to the spec (~2 to 2.5cm flex). Some swingarms are broad when loose, they come together pushing the axel back. This could easily result in chain tensioning.

So start LOOSER, and once the axel bolt is tensioned, maybe tension will be OK.
Actually it can't "get tighter" while riding. It was just set wrong, and since he didn't test it with a rider sitting on the bike after the adjustment, it seemed to get tighter while riding. He just wasn't aware how this all works. Everyone starts out as a noob.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle. Nope, finally retired.

Old Today, 08:57 AM   #8

Tom...
The swingarm is typically below parallel when on the side stand. As you sit on the bike, the swingarm moves closer to parallel, at parallel, or past parallel as your weight causes the swingarm to flex up (parallel as in pointing directly at the front sprocket)... Depending on your setup, and your weight, the swingarm can end up AT the parallel position, which is the longest distance from the front sprocket. So yes, it CAN get tighter when you sit on the bike, and typically, it does indeed since it was below parallel when you adjusted it. It is true.

OK, it doesn't "get tighter as you are riding it". The tension depends on the position of the swingarm.

If the OP set the chain too tight to begin with, then it can really get way too tight if the swingarm was way below parallel when he tensioned it.

On your bike, have someone place weight on your bike while you continuously monitor tension on the chain, and you will see what I mean. As the swingarm compresses the rear suspension, the chain is tightest when the swingarm is aligned pointing directly at the front sprocket.

Old Today, 09:42 AM   #9

Guys, I think I would be doing a close examination of the brakes…

Old Today, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Tom...
The swingarm is typically below parallel when on the side stand. As you sit on the bike, the swingarm moves closer to parallel, at parallel, or past parallel as your weight causes the swingarm to flex up (parallel as in pointing directly at the front sprocket)... Depending on your setup, and your weight, the swingarm can end up AT the parallel position, which is the longest distance from the front sprocket. So yes, it CAN get tighter when you sit on the bike, and typically, it does indeed since it was below parallel when you adjusted it. It is true.

OK, it doesn't "get tighter as you are riding it". The tension depends on the position of the swingarm.

If the OP set the chain too tight to begin with, then it can really get way too tight if the swingarm was way below parallel when he tensioned it.

On your bike, have someone place weight on your bike while you continuously monitor tension on the chain, and you will see what I mean. As the swingarm compresses the rear suspension, the chain is tightest when the swingarm is aligned pointing directly at the front sprocket.
I think we are saying the same thing. I agree with what you are saying, and none of it contradicts what I said.