Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #1

Templar - Muscle Memory

I've got two bikes, a Honda Shadow and my recent purchase Templar X. I've put 3K on the Templar this summer and the ole Shadow has been collecting dust. Finally took the Shadow out this afternoon with my 'nothing but a Harley' friend and he asked me why I was reaching over with my left hand to hit the starter button. I almost told him "because it's easier to hold the front brake lever in" but caught myself. I just told him "you wouldn't understand" and took off.

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #2

Congrats. That's pretty big miles on a dirt bike. I find that when i jump on the Templar I have to remind myself to sit more forward. I commute on a few different bikes and they all take a minute to get used to but I enjoy them all.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #3

I had to replace the rear brake light switch on my Temp X. It was easy enough, and only cost an amazing $7-8, but it restores the rear brake press for starter interlock release function. The hydraulic switch is cheap, wiring was easy since it just closes the circuit!

So can you do this on the Shadow (foot brake instead of hand brake lever)? With a failed rear brakelight switch, I had to use the front brake lever (NOT comfortable), but all I had to do was replace the rear brake light switch (which also restored rear brake light with rear foot brake).

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
So can you do this on the Shadow (foot brake instead of hand brake lever)?...

Na, that was what I caught myself on, Hondas, Harleys, they're all kickstand/neutral switch protected and no need to activate any brake levers (at least for mine). I've been riding the Templar so much I forgot. Had to laugh at myself....

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #5

The starter on the Templar is definitely a reach if you're holding the front brake. I've gotten used to using the foot brake when starting it up.
I hear ya on the adjustment between bikes, jumped on my Bonneville the other weekend and I'd forgotten what 900cc's and fuel injection feels like because I've been riding the X so much
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125