Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #1

KPX250 Whistling/Ringing Noise

Hello all,

I recently got my first motorcycle, a Lifan KPX250, and have put about 300 miles on it. Since a couple days ago, I started hearing a very high pitch noise, and I was hoping someone had an idea of the cause.

The noise starts after a few minutes of riding, but is only present at speeds above about 11 MPH. Letting off the throttle doesn't directly affect the noise, and neither does breaking. The only thing that seems to be affecting the pitch of the sound is the speed of the bike.

The noise sounds very close to what can be heard in the first 3 seconds of this YouTube video, but I already ruled out the gas cap as a cause:

One last thing, I have not noticed any change in the performance of the bike since hearing the noise.

If anyone has any idea what is causing this noise, I would really appreciate the help as I am still new to riding and working on bikes. Thanks!

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #2

Being tied to the movement speed of the bike means it is something rotating when in motion, which narrows it down to the wheels, brakes, or chain.

If I were a gambler I would start with the brakes.

Other possibilities include squeaky bearings or the inner race of the same rubbing against one of the axles, or having a squeaky roller (or multiple) in your chain.

And are you sure it ain't your helmet whistling...? The new visor I put on my Qualifier whistles in the wind at very specific speeds.

Old Today, 11:10 AM   #3

Dragging/loose chain/chain guard? Rubbing wheel, rear wheel/chain off center? vibrating plastic/missing screws? Mine is great.. 600 miles now. Did you notice a big power improvement as it broke in?