Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2024, 02:34 AM   #16

Just because a Chinese bike is sold for $2k, doesn't mean you are going to pay $2k.
There's shipping, taxes, title transfer, tag and registration.
All these fees get added to the Chinese bikes.
Additionally, many lower quality bikes may need mods to get them to work right, while a Honda is pretty much straight out the door.

Resale value of Chinese bikes is non existent.
Many people buy their China bikes and want to get 90% of their sales price or more. Dem loonies!

Longevity, Japanese bikes last longer than Chinese bikes, and are made with.better materials that don't need upgrading.

I agree on the high new price for bikes, however you can find plenty of second hand bikes for a low price, as low as a new Chinese bike, for a much better bike.

If you're the kind of person who likes working on his bike, is ok with wrenching 60%, riding 40% in the first few weeks, a china bike is probably good for you.
Though Lifan bikes are almost as good as Japanese bikes, they still need rust proofing, bolt loctiting, and minor part upgrades.

Old 09-02-2024, 08:01 AM   #17

At the end, would you say 4,000 sunk into a China Bike is about the normal price of one?

I only ask because I would have to go through the song and dance with an XR150 in getting a new carb, new airbox, doing a ton of mods anyway, right? I know they have some shortcomings of their own. Plus, OTD for an XR150L right now if I went to a dealership is 4,100.

I'm never going to find one of these used at a reasonable price, I've come to that conclusion a while ago. Anything remotely in the XR150s class right now I've seen go for ~$4K used where I'm at. TW200s for 4K used are not uncommon. That's almost the price of a new one from the dealership, all titles and tags taken care of.

If that really is the entry price then maybe a new rider like me should just bite the bullet on a new bike from the dealer. I'm okay with a wrench but I am getting this to ride first and foremost.

Old 09-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #18

Don't forget to factor in the cost of riding gear. It adds up quick and like it or not, it is part of the equation.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Custom cutting board skid plate
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the
superior strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68
mph (so far)

Old 09-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #19

There are a ton of good bikes around the $2000.00 mark .

Old 09-02-2024, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
There are a ton of good bikes around the $2000.00 mark .
Maybe it's just a seasonal thing because I've been waiting close to 5-ish months now? The only bikes I've seen in this price range are these China bikes and dirtbikes. This is including the used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
Don't forget to factor in the cost of riding gear. It adds up quick and like it or not, it is part of the equation.
I am perfectly fine with adding in the cost of riding gear, of all the things I will skimp on; safety is not one of them.
I just find the current state of the name-brand market kind of silly. The XR150 is close to a 45% dealer markup.

Old 09-02-2024, 11:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Manny is the owner and chief scumbag of txps and all the other companies he owns ,not sure what they all are but if your buying something from Dallas ,Arlington or pretty much anywhere in Texas make sure you ask us first .Venom has about the best name out there and you can expect good service from them .
I just saw a dude on facebook got ripped of by txps..they sent him a bike with an engine that looked damaged and old. according to what he said, they then proceeded to lie about stuff concerning it. the factory needs to put the brakes on dealers like txps.

Old 09-02-2024, 12:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
The Lifan EXPECT 200 is about as close to the Honda XR150L as you can get. I dont have one,so I only know what I have read about them.
The Xpect is the slightly better in terms of technology, though heavier bike.
The Honda is lighter, lasts longer, made with alloys, rather than painted steel, through more expensive and has less options (no fuel gauge, but has reserve, no led screen).
If you're going to use the bike for 15k miles and get rid of it, get the Xpect. If you want to do 50k miles on it, go for the Honda.

Old 09-02-2024, 02:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
The Xpect is the slightly better in terms of technology, though heavier bike.
The Honda is lighter, lasts longer, made with alloys, rather than painted steel, through more expensive and has less options (no fuel gauge, but has reserve, no led screen).
If you're going to use the bike for 15k miles and get rid of it, get the Xpect. If you want to do 50k miles on it, go for the Honda.
I guess that's fair, but it's a tough price tag to swallow.
That said, I do tend to ride and drive everything until it's a pile of dust. My cars from the mid 00's can attest to that.

It seems like you're steering me away from the Chinabike option at all, and there could be a good reason for that if I plan to keep it long-term. I guess my next question is: If the dealers premium is just the lick I have to take, should I upgrade a bit more then so it's at least worth the premium? 5K Gets a KLX 230.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatondirt View Post

It seems like you're steering me away from the Chinabike option at all, and there could be a good reason for that if I plan to keep it long-term. I guess my next question is: If the dealers premium is just the lick I have to take, should I upgrade a bit more then so it's at least worth the premium? 5K Gets a KLX 230.
My argument FOR Chinese bikes is the price. I am talking about easily registerable bikes like the Lifans or the TT250 from CSC. Registration has become difficult in many states for non-DOT approved Chinese bikes which is why Hensim/Ricky Power Sports (RPS) FINALLY got their Hawk DOT approved for 49 or 47 states (some states follow California's lead, and some flip-flop). For a couple years, they had their fuel-injected 49-state legal bike, while their carb version was still considered off-road in the eyes of the EPA. Some people had difficulties, and in some cases could not get theirs registered because of the 'offroad dirtbike' designation they were certified under with the EPA. And some states surprised me. And, I do not believe the MCOs even stated 'Off-Road'--I think the Hawk, as well as a few others, were 'red-flagged' in several states.

Brand name bikes are the way to go once you have experience--even a year or two. My reasoning is even with the fact of resale value, once you go down a bunch of times, the cost to fix the bike with genuine parts adds up while the resale value goes down (assuming there are still damages). I am fairly certain insurance doesn't cover the bikes in many cases other than riding around to work, to stores, to friends and relatives, etc. Dropping one on a dirt road--maybe not covered; trail--probably forget about it. And you are still expected to make payments on a depreciated bike.

That all being said, Chinese bikes are a bit more expensive than what they used to be, but really are much higher quality. They also have good resale considering the old-school ones that were okay literally went for a few hundred bucks or less when owners tried to sell them to get into a better bike with a brand name.

I am not sure if you have seen videos on these bikes, but there are plenty. Personally, I would go with the KPX 250 out of all the Chinese bikes, but for several hundred dollars less, the X-Pect 200 is a good deal. I know that many changed their front sprocket to get lowered cruising rpms for commuting duties, but you should be good with stock if your roads are only moving at 50 mph (change the sprocket later on if you feel the need to).

I have a feeling the Honda's 150 will underwhelm you and you will soon desire more grunt. The Kawasaki 230 might be a better choice as far as learning AND keeping (a lot of us grow fond of our useful bikes and keep them 'forever') if you decide to go with a name brand bike.

Edit: The $4k KLX 230 seems like a good contender even with the near 35" seat height (vs. the usual 36" height found on most every bike). The $5k KLX 230 S has an even shorter seat, but it doesn't seem like that should justify $1k more (I admit I didn't read all the details besides that differentiating the two). Both are fuel-injected and have 6 speeds.

One thing rarely mentioned when people are concerned about seat height is proper foot gear--one should always be wearing boots which really do bridge the gap between tip-toeing and not tip-toeing so much, as well as feeling stable and confident stopped at red lights, stop signs, traffic, etc. That 34.8" seat height on the $4k bike should not really be an issue with proper footware.

Okay--the $4k KLX as well as the $4.2k KLX with ABS are both 2023 models, vs. the $5k KLX which is a 2024 model.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; Yesterday at 04:53 PM. Reason: adding in information

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #25

I'd say if you can find a used Yamaha XT225 'serow' / XT250 or Kawasaki 'Super Sherpa'

Out of the Used Japan offerings you might find a deal that would offer similar or better than current Chondas.

Some Hondas might be around but are either thrashed or over valued.

Suzuki DR350 is also a possibility though they had a limited production run so it a bit of a Unicorn but with age and parts liabilities.

I would get any Chonda over the $3k XR150L but if you are law constrained then I can see a place for it.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #26

It is undeniable that EFI has some risk. A carburetor doesn't have sensors and complexity. EFI can require modification/adjustment if it is set up too lean, and a glitchy or failed sensor can take lots of testing to isolate and repair. Lifan is better about this, but no support if it is a Hawk.

This website documents people dealing with chronic EFI issues or failure. But you might not have a problem. If you can't fix a carb, it is cheap to replace, and easy to diagnose.

Old Today, 12:05 AM   #27

Quote:
That said, I do tend to ride and drive everything until it's a pile of dust. My cars from the mid 00's can attest to that.

Are you the type of person to change your own oil or take it to a Jiffy Lube? I'm guessing you're a Jiffy Lube kinda guy. If that's the case, go to a dealership and whenever your bike needs service, you take it to the dealership and let them handle it. All you have to worry about is filling it with gas and riding it. Of course, you'll have to pay the price for that.

BUT, there is good news. A Jiffy Lube kinda person can become an "I change my own damn oil" kinda person. It's not hard!

Motorcycles, no matter who makes them or what kinda materials they're made out of, NEED CONSTANT ATTENTION. It is the nature of the beast. These things vibrate and rattle themselves loose. The air pressure in the tires is something you need to check like EVERY time you ride it. You should at least take a peak at the site glass to check the oil. Tuning a carburetor can be learned and EFI is coming along nicely with the China bikes.

Not sure what you need to hear that hasn't been covered. Make up your damn mind and buy something. RIDE SAFE!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old Today, 07:30 AM   #28

Quote:

If you're thinking about getting a KLX230, You might as well go with the KPX250 and save some money. I found the KPX quality is every bit as good as the KLX230 if not slightly better. KPX also has a 2 year part warranty.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old Today, 09:52 AM   #29

The China bikes are well worth what they cost. You'll get your money's worth out of it and then some. You can run a China bike til it turns to dust as long as you have the mechanical ability(not rocket science) and the testicular(or vaginal) fortitude to handle problems. Parts are available you just need to research harder to find the right ones.

Is this gonna be a recreational vehicle or are you relying on it as your daily driver? I have both, so mechanical hold ups with the bike aren't as big a problem for me.

Thumper's points comparing carb with EFI are true. That being said, the only break down I have experienced with my EFI Hawk was electrical, not sensor related, and could have happened to a carbed bike as well.

You have the information to make an informed decision. You have to make it and own it. It won't be easy, but in the end, it will be yours. Good luck.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Custom cutting board skid plate
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the
superior strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68
mph (so far)

Old Today, 10:06 AM   #30

Honda vs. Chonda?

I have 2 Chondas and 2 Japanese bikes. My 2019 carbureted Hawk 250 has been a champ for the last 17,000 miles, but I’ve replaced nearly every major part on it such that the only thing that’s really OEM Hawk is the frame, and even that has been heavily modified with extra welds, bracing, etc. If you like tinkering, a carbureted Hawk 250 is great. If you want reliability, near Japanese quality, and minimal tinkering compared to the Hawk, go with a Lifan KPX250. It has a 35.6 inch seat height though, so that may be a factor; but, some people have lowered it an inch or so to make it tolerable for people like us who are vertically challenged (I have a 30” inseam, so I too have to be aware of the seat height issue).