Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #1831

Behind the sprocket cover is the gear position sensor, it shows your gear based off of where the metal nub behind the sensor is riding on the sensor itself.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #1832

Just returned from my first ride. Everything is stock. I'm impressed!

During assembly I removed the carb, pulled the plug off the low speed jet, found it to be 3/4 turns out. 120 main, 40 pilot, it started instantly and runs fantastic at 0-1500 ft, 70 degrees. That surprised me. As did the magnet in the drain plug, the need to remove the upper engine mount to remove the intake valve cover and battery removal to get at the air filter.

My left peg mount was welded on incorrectly resulting in the peg angled back a bit. A grinder took care of that.

During assembly I noticed the front wheel was out of round.

I rode a small combination of paved, gravel and single track today, only 40 miles, but enough to get an initial impression of the suspension and handling. She's a keeper for sure.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #1833

Just got done taking my Templar for a short test ride around the neighborhood. The bike performed wonderfully even with the stock jetting, will still fatten it up a bit if my jet kit ever gets here. The only issue it had was a non functioning speedometer/odometer, went back thru all the connections and found nothing out of sorts. All the other functions of the display work fine (tach, shift indicator, voltmeter, etc.). I unplugged the wheel sensor and using a multi meter I looked for any kind of signal when I spun the front wheel and got nothing. Guess I have a dead speed sensor? Sent an email off to Zora at PSM, hope they come through on sending me the parts so I can get the speedometer working. Kinda need a working speedometer to pass inspection so I can get my registration.

2024 Templar 250 X
2018 Nissan Frontier (work truck)
2006 Ford F-150 Crew cab (play truck)
1973 Century Resorter 16 (Floating Muscle Car)

Old Today, 07:10 AM   #1834

You might want to talk with DPS, there is a short window to register after purchase of vehicles and once that time lapses there might be a fine; it’s all based on the original paperwork date.

The speed sensor is a magnetic Hall effect type. A disc on the wheel and a sensor that you can screw in and out that will sense the disc passing underneath as the wheel as it rotates. You can inspect the wheel for the physical components being present. You can adjust the sensor closer to the wheel if needed; the idea being close enough to read the field during rotation but far enough away that any flex of the wheel during riding won’t allow physical contact to occur.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old Today, 07:29 AM   #1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
You might want to talk with DPS, there is a short window to register after purchase of vehicles and once that time lapses there might be a fine; it’s all based on the original paperwork date.

The speed sensor is a magnetic Hall effect type. A disc on the wheel and a sensor that you can screw in and out that will sense the disc passing underneath as the wheel as it rotates. You can inspect the wheel for the physical components being present. You can adjust the sensor closer to the wheel if needed; the idea being close enough to read the field during rotation but far enough away that any flex of the wheel during riding won’t allow physical contact to occur.
I'm pretty familiar with the type of sensor that is installed on this bike. The air gap is within specs (2mm), magnets are clean. Using a multi meter connected to the pins in the sensor connector, I get no output from the sensor on either the AC or DC ranges when the wheel is spun. Checking with an ohmmeter shows an open circuit between the two pins. Pretty sure I just have a defective sensor right out of the box. Hoping PSM comes thru on a replacement sensor.

I still have a couple weeks to get the bike registered before any late penalties are applied. The shop I'm using for my initial safety inspection is a shop I've used for over 20 years for routine vehicle maintenance, and I'm pretty tight with the owner and manager. If needed, pretty sure I can get them to "overlook" a non functioning speedometer on the inspection. I would prefer to not have to resort to that, but it's available as an option.

2024 Templar 250 X

Old Today, 08:24 AM   #1836

We are so lucky that MO doesn't require safety inspection on new vehicles. In fact the inspection free registration was extended to 150k miles

Proof of financial responsibility (liability only) is required, and must show personal property tax receipts. BOS isn't even required if it already has a MO title.

Old Today, 08:56 AM   #1837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
We are so lucky that MO doesn't require safety inspection on new vehicles. In fact the inspection free registration was extended to 150k miles

Proof of financial responsibility (liability only) is required, and must show personal property tax receipts. BOS isn't even required if it already has a MO title.
Well, I'll only have to deal with the safety inspection once. Effective January 1, 2025 annual/new vehicle safety inspections for motor vehicles in Texas have been done away with. So next year all I'll have to pay for is just the registration fee to renew the registration. And, we don't have any personal property taxes here in Texas, you only pay property taxes on real property (real estate) to fund city/county governments & local school districts, the state runs off of sales tax revenue.

2024 Templar 250 X