Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #1

my first real motorcycle engine

hi all,
being from the Netherlands means i had a youth full of classic mopeds. Never knew those Kreidlers, Zundapps and Honda's would get so expensive, I rode a Puch 50, then a Tomos 50, and i learned about souping them up. This grew into me becoming the local 'garage' for people with Puch and Tomos oldtimers. I've had tons of those, with the BT50S and NTX being my favorite, the last one was perfect for crossing the metro and tram lines in Amsterdam. I also owned a Puch M50 Jet that was the fastest thing I had so far, with a 6 speed engine.
After moving to the US, I got a 1959 Puch MS50 first ($300), then I had to get a bunch of parts from the Netherlands, which added another $300 (incl shipping).
I'd found an engine of a Puch Cross 60 on eBay, which I bought (in the Netherlands these so called 'R-engines' are kind of legend) but unfortunately, seller had lied about it being turn key. I had to get the gearbox welded, replace sprockets, and the crankshaft. So, another $350 in total spent.
Next I found a 1968 Honda CT90 Trail, and tried to get that engine running, but to no avail (later i discovered the importance of Compression with these engines). I cleaned the oil filter that was clogged (sprocket metal), and put in a new kickstart spring. And a new ignition coil and cable and spark plug. It still wouldn't move.
So finally, after talking with Honda riders, I got me a 125cc Lifan engine. Made the parts to connect it to the frame. Now working on the lights, I want to register this bike as a daily rider.
I hope to find information about the engine in this forum.

Okay, now you know more about who I am, ready to ride!

Old 08-24-2024, 05:43 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Check out Minibike Mike. He's doing pretty much what you are and can help. He has a YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@MiniBikeMike

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM   #3

I too have a 68 Trail 90 with a Lifan engine, 140cc. Excellent little bike, much better than the original Honda engine. I went with a battery less electrical system.