Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #1

Gio Mini Beast cranks,, but won't start.

Hey, I'm having some issues with my son's four wheeler and I'm all out of ideas and was wondering if you guys might have an idea that I haven't tried.

It's cranking fine, but won't fire up at all for some reason. It was working fine a month or 2 ago. When I tried starting it yesterday it sputtered a bit for a few seconds with the choke on and then died like it always does if it's been sitting for a bit and hasn't been started for a while, but now I can't get anything out of it at all.

It's got fuel, plug is wet after cranking, has spark, stator looks clean and is putting out 40v and has continuity to ground. I thought maybe it was a dirty plug or carburetor, so I replaced the plug with a new one, cleaned the jets on the carb (which looked clean anyway) and it still didn't work so I put a new carb on it, and still nothing.

I don't really know what else to check on it when everything I've looked at seems fine.

Fuel filter, fuel lines and air filter I also replaced a few months ago, and it hasn't had a lot of use.

Lights, starter, stator and everything else electrical seem to be all working.

I'm all out of ideas and put a lot of work into completely rebuilding this thing, so it kind of sucks it just won't start now...

I'm hoping someone here might have an idea to steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

Edit: I've also tried jumping the safety tether switch and tried with the harness unplugged as well as unplugging the kill switch, to no avail.

Last edited by PMac; Yesterday at 07:35 PM.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #2

Also, I don't have anything to test compression (nor do I know how to), but when I press my thumb against the spark plug hole when cranking it seems like it's got a good amount of pressure

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #3

Have you adjusted the valves on it, at all? If the valves are tight they don't seat all the way and your compression is seeping out.

Old Today, 02:43 AM   #4

Flooding? Try drying off the plug and give it a go with no choke and zero to 1/8th twist on the throttle? You can then try choke if you get nothing.

Or maybe the voltage on the coil is low. If it doesn't look like a bluish white hot spark (at night or in a dark garage), a coil is a low cost item to swap in.

Has it ever started since the full rebuild (valve timing)?