Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 05:49 PM   #1

Question TBR7 w/ 530 chain. Sprockets?

Hey all.
I got one of the new tbr7d and it came with a 530 chain on it. Like the 428 setup on the older ones, it is geared crazy short. So I wanted to change the front sprocket to the 17t but i have no idea what to do with the 530 chain. I havent had much luck finding anything regarding that.
There also isnt much chain length to play with to install a larger front sprocket. Would it be better to just swap out the chain and both the sprockets instead of messing around with the 530?

TYTY

Old Today, 06:13 PM   #2

I dont have aTBR7,but I would swap out the 530 and use the 428 with a JTR269-45 rear sprocket and a JTF259-17 front. Those sprockets sould work for youre bike.

Old Today, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscious Observer View Post
Hey all.
I got one of the new tbr7d and it came with a 530 chain on it. Like the 428 setup on the older ones, it is geared crazy short. So I wanted to change the front sprocket to the 17t but i have no idea what to do with the 530 chain. I havent had much luck finding anything regarding that.
There also isnt much chain length to play with to install a larger front sprocket. Would it be better to just swap out the chain and both the sprockets instead of messing around with the 530?

TYTY
You won't have room for a 17 in the larger size, but you can achieve very similar results. If I remember right, I have seen post were people claim a 13 tooth front, or maybe a 12 is about as big as you can go with the bigger chain. The 42/17 is what a lot of people ran on the TBR7. It's about like a 45/17 on a Hawk. You could run a 32/13, or a 30/12, with the larger chain, and be in the same ballpark as a 42/17.

Old Today, 07:38 PM   #4

you do not need that big of a chain,428 on mine. 2nd set of chain and sprockets in 9800 miles, just makes .no since.

Old Today, 08:37 PM   #5

I would vouch for the 428 chain as well. It's relatively cheap, and sprocket combinations are easy to find.

Especially if you are mostly using it for local street riding, the 428 makes more sense. If you plan to run it in mud, and over rocks, potholes or branches, a 530 chain is recommended.

As far as sprockets go, a 17t fits easily. You can even install an 18t, so long you take the chain off the rear sprocket, before installing the sprocket cover.

You have a 229cc carburetor engine.
The Lifan X-pect 200 engine is slightly smaller, with slightly less power, and I'm running it with a 17/32t. Not really recommend, but the bike pulls nice up to 4th gear. Meaning, if I want top speed in 5th gear, I could run a 17/38 to 17/40t.
The same should be true for a trb7 or hawk.

Old Today, 09:09 PM   #6

Thanks all, i decided to just switch everything over to the 428 setup.
Got the chain, 17t and 42t on order.

Old Today, 09:39 PM   #7

Other option is to go with a 520 chain and sprocket setup. I prefer the 520 over the 428. Either work fine though.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124