Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #1

Jeep Gladiator

Grouchy old fart rant starting.

Our SIL borrowed our F-150 and trailer for the week and left us his Gladiator Mojave to use. Not too sure about it.

The black marks against it are 4 doors, power windows, AT, v6, no running boards, and 8, count 'em, 8 shock absorbers. And I thought my LJ rode rough.

Pluses are, and I hate to admit it because of the v6, acceleration and gas mileage. Also, it is quieter on the road than Mrs. C's Renegade.

If the Gladiator was available as a 2 door with at least a 6.5 ft bed, I'd be all over it but not this.

Grouchy old fart rant over.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #2

My brother in law had a J10 4WD pickup. It had a slant 6 and solid axels, manual transmission 4-speed with granny. We hauled lots of wood with that beast. I didn't mind the more primitive cabin because that was normal back then. It was original dark brown. Nice truck.

Trucks these days are posh limosines used as commuting vehicles. I do have a '21 Taco access cab that I use for hauling and pulling a utility trailer. Otherwise, it remains parked. I must admit I like the amenities.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
If the Gladiator was available as a 2 door with at least a 6.5 ft bed, I'd be all over it but not this.

We have a word for this. It's right on the tip of my tongue.

Oh yeah, a pickup truck.

I cannot fathom the purpose of the Gladiator nor the mindset of the people who buy them. To each their own, but if you want a truck -- buy a truck. If you don't need a truck, which is true for most people, I think most of the Gladiator owners would in reality be perfectly happy with a large hatchback or mid sized crossover.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #4

Toyota has been making/selling 4 door short bed 4WDs for years. The purpose is crew transport to jobsites that are not exactly on main roads. In the USA, there are lots crew cab 2WD used by contractors in Southern States, some fleets for big contractors. But...you see the 4WD version all over South America, South Africa, Afghanistan, etc and recruited as gunner mounts for military application. Not a tank, but much faster and nimbler. And they don't need much maintenance.

Price tag is easily $15k South of the price of a base Gladiator. Ever look at the window sticker on those things?

Old Today, 07:42 AM   #5

When I was working on the Pikes Peak rail project, a 'Taco' was the best way to get anywhere along that rail bed. Second best was a tracked ATV.

I will give Jakes' Gladiator one more plus and that it's easier to park than F150.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old Today, 08:31 AM   #6

I got the Tacoma as pandemic was exploding in '21. Inventory was absolutely sparse. I got on the list for an extracab 4WD with the i4, preferably in silver or white. The dealer estimated a 4 to 6 month delay.

He called me about a week later and told me he had a V6 access cab "SX" model, which is one step above base model, but with a nice package including separate heat/cold temp controls for the passenger, an upgraded radiohead, class III hitch (class II really since the truck can't haul that much). The bluetooth works great and the Atkinson cycle live variable valve timing allows you to back off and get 24mpg, or work it hard and make close to 200hp. Three years later and I only have about 18k on it. The access cab turns out to be way better than the extracab (I used to have one). Extremely convenient.

I looked around yesterday and access cabs are rare. Lucky

We rented a Jeep Wrangler 4xE while on vacation and enjoyed the thing. It would drive 30 miles or so on electrical charge before starting the engine. Expensive sucker, but nice. It was a 4 door. I like the Gladiator, but it is also too expensive and not really useful for me. Nothing but pavement for many miles around here!

Old Today, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I got the Tacoma as pandemic was exploding in '21. Inventory was absolutely sparse. I got on the list for an extracab 4WD with the i4, preferably in silver or white. The dealer estimated a 4 to 6 month delay.

He called me about a week later and told me he had a V6 access cab "SX" model, which is one step above base model, but with a nice package including separate heat/cold temp controls for the passenger, an upgraded radiohead, class III hitch (class II really since the truck can't haul that much). The bluetooth works great and the Atkinson cycle live variable valve timing allows you to back off and get 24mpg, or work it hard and make close to 200hp. Three years later and I only have about 18k on it. The access cab turns out to be way better than the extracab (I used to have one). Extremely convenient.

I looked around yesterday and access cabs are rare. Lucky

We rented a Jeep Wrangler 4xE while on vacation and enjoyed the thing. It would drive 30 miles or so on electrical charge before starting the engine. Expensive sucker, but nice. It was a 4 door. I like the Gladiator, but it is also too expensive and not really useful for me. Nothing but pavement for many miles around here!
My Dad traded his Ram for a Gladiator, then traded the Gladiator back for another Ram. Jake also traded his Ram in for his Gladiator. He got it because the Ram was looking at another 6.4 replacement engine in 80K miles and he missed his Wrangler. He will take it off-road, unlike 95% of the Jeeps out there.

When I'd work in Puerto Rico, I'd always try to get a Wrangler or Renegade as they're a better fit for San Juan traffic. My own 20 year old Jeep rarely sees off road but it works. I haul my kayak to my fishin' hole, carry bikes off the front, and, when needed, drag fallen trees on my property to where I can cut them up. It was the perfect vehicle for commuting back and forth to O'hare.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800