Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #1

A few engine questions??? CG

As many know,I had a cheap roller cam follower loose it's bearings, and at minimum it's damaged the timing gears. I know because I can see the cam gear, and so I pretty much know the one on the crank has to be damaged. I have been looking at videos on YouTube, and there are several that show how to change the timing gear on the crank, but they are all in the language of India. They use a special puller specifically for the CG( a helical timing gear puller), that requires tearing it down no farther than removing the flywheel.It's about $20.00 on Amazon, and cheaper from AliExpress. My two
concerns are. Wondering if my transmission gears could be chewed up. And while I can't really understand what they are saying, it appears that they just "eyeball" the timing mark on the crank gear, by using the flywheel keyway for reference. The crank gear hasn't got a slot for a key. The crank gear goes back in the crank a couple of inches past the flywheel keyway. How is timing precision maintained ? The motor that's on my Hawk now runs great, and hasn't really got a lot of miles on it , and keeps the oil good and clean. I hate to tear it apart, and put my 70 mm jug, and home ported head on it. I ordered another cam, just because it was cheap, and because of the fact that when my roller follower lost it's bearings, it allowed the non rolling part of the follower to run against the cam. My plan would be to drain all the oil, clean the oil screen, and maybe try flushing the inside of the motor with kerosene ( don't know if that's a good idea though)... What are your thoughts?? If there's a good chance of the transmission gears being damaged, I don't want to fool with it. Also any opinions on the timing of the crank gear would be appreciated. Thanks

I am adding this video that shows what I mean on the crank gear. You will probably want to fast forward through the first 6 minutes.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; Yesterday at 08:23 PM. Reason: Adding video

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #2

Before you spend a lot of money and time working on it, would it be possible to swap in a OHC version of the 230 engine (Titan) ?

But you put the original engine back in, didn't you? If so, I guess you have time to work on it.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Before you spend a lot of money and time working on it, would it be possible to swap in a OHC version of the 230 engine (Titan) ?

But you put the original engine back in, didn't you? If so, I guess you have time to work on it.
I put a stock engine from a parts bike in it for now, and I really can't complain. I'm not going to have to spend hardly anything to repair the original motor. Other than the tool to pull the crank gear. I just ordered a cam, and gaskets from AliExpress today and got it all for about $14.00 shipped. I already have a crank gear that came with the long duration cam that in the original motor now. I will be reusing the 70mm bore kit, and the self ported head if I do repair the motor. I'm in no huge hurry, because the bike is running good as it is, I was mainly wanting to repair the original motor back to the way I had it built, with the exception of using stock cam followers.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #4

By the way, that is Espanol, not Hindi. So I can actually understand most of it

It looks like the cam drive gear on the crankshaft is just pressed on with the mark lined up with the woodruff key for the harmonic balancer(rotor)

Yeah. That seems imprecise