Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 02:09 PM   #1

Orion RXB250L Top Speed

I'm not asking. I'm telling.

Since this is always a hot topic for our dinkum sub-250cc single cylinder Chinese bikes, and it seems everybody is always wishing they could have more than they've got.

The other day I found myself out in the field with the sun going down and essentially no choice but to ride up I-95. So I tucked up, opened that throttle all the way, and recorded it on my GoPro. The answer is an indicated 77 MPH, which given my Orion's usual 5% or so optimism on the speedometer means around 73 MPH in reality. I've touched that kind of velocity before, but I've never tried to hold it there that long.

This bike's engine is stock, but I did go up one tooth (to 14) on the front sprocket. The the only other modifications I've made are bolting all the lights, handguards, and luggage and so forth to it -- so, more weight and less aero -- and it has my 3D printed upside-down pod filter adapter with a foam filter replacing the pleated paper one the bike came with which I am positive confers no performance gain.

Since this bike has no aerodynamic design whatsoever, being in a tuck actually did make a very noticeable effect on my top speed to the tune of about 5-6 MPH. It is not keen to stay in a straight line at that speed, especially given that I still have the craptastic stock knobby front tire on it which isn't even DOT.

You can "keep up with traffic" with this bike on the highway on paper, if it weren't for the fact that the speed limit here is 55 but every nutcase on the entire I-95 corridor pathologically does 85-90 MPH regardless of conditions. (If you live anywhere between Richmond and Boston, you already know.) Rain, snow, dark, it doesn't matter. These are the morons all posting "FML" on social media when they wreck their Altimas, and they're raising your insurance rates...