Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2024, 09:32 PM   #16

The exhaust glowing red would indicate a very lean mixture, or a restricted exhaust. If this bike has a catalytic converter in the exhaust, it could be partially blocked. Try disconnecting the exhaust from the engine and fire it up momentarily to see if it will take throttle. Don't run it for a long period with the pipe disconnected as it's possible to warp the exhaust valve.

2018 Nissan Frontier (work truck)
2006 Ford F-150 Crew cab (play truck)
1973 Century Resorter 16 (Floating Muscle Car)

Old 07-17-2024, 10:30 PM   #17

Check around the intake manifold at the head and at the carburetor for vacuum leaks. Also check the vacuum hose port on the manifold better yet if you havent done it plug the port off with a rubber vacuum cap. That hose goes to that emmisions control valve. The red glowing exaust pipe is a sighn of extreme lean condition.

Old Yesterday, 02:31 AM   #18

My Templar is doing the same thing. I suspect pilot circuit lean issue. I need to pull the carb and take a look. HOT exhaust, and won't idle after warmed up.

I am sure it is a carb problem. I have a spare to swap in, so I will probably do that.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
The exhaust glowing red would indicate a very lean mixture, or a restricted exhaust. If this bike has a catalytic converter in the exhaust, it could be partially blocked. Try disconnecting the exhaust from the engine and fire it up momentarily to see if it will take throttle. Don't run it for a long period with the pipe disconnected as it's possible to warp the exhaust valve.
Same behavior. Dies immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Check around the intake manifold at the head and at the carburetor for vacuum leaks. Also check the vacuum hose port on the manifold better yet if you havent done it plug the port off with a rubber vacuum cap. That hose goes to that emmisions control valve. The red glowing exaust pipe is a sighn of extreme lean condition.
There shouldn't be any vacuum leaks as all bolts are tight, all hoses connected, but if you show me which hose you mean (i assume the one connected to EGR?) I'll try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
My Templar is doing the same thing. I suspect pilot circuit lean issue. I need to pull the carb and take a look. HOT exhaust, and won't idle after warmed up.

I am sure it is a carb problem. I have a spare to swap in, so I will probably do that.
Let me know how it goes. txpowersports is sending a carb and CDI but they haven't given me a tracking number yet

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #20

If that engine has an EGR system on it, a dirty EGR valve that won't close all the way can cause the symptoms you're having. That type of problem was pretty common on older carbureted cars and trucks.. Pulled and cleaned many an EGR valve back in the day to correct lean idle or stalling right off idle. The EGR valve is supposed to only open when the engine is at a high enough RPM to handle it without stalling or bogging.

Honestly, the best thing you could do is to just delete all that emission control crap to prevent ongoing problems as those parts age.

2018 Nissan Frontier (work truck)
2006 Ford F-150 Crew cab (play truck)
1973 Century Resorter 16 (Floating Muscle Car)

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
If that engine has an EGR system on it, a dirty EGR valve that won't close all the way can cause the symptoms you're having. That type of problem was pretty common on older carbureted cars and trucks.. Pulled and cleaned many an EGR valve back in the day to correct lean idle or stalling right off idle. The EGR valve is supposed to only open when the engine is at a high enough RPM to handle it without stalling or bogging.

Honestly, the best thing you could do is to just delete all that emission control crap to prevent ongoing problems as those parts age.

I had deleted it at one point during this saga, but was concerned about causing buildup in the cats In my exhaust. Can safely say that is not causing it because It was off of my bike for about 3 and 1/2 days of this.

That said, a future project of mine will be deleting the cats, deleting the EGR, and installing a nibbi carburetor.