Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2024, 09:24 PM   #1

Head Scratching Hawk 250 Tire Pressure

Y'all, is it normal for pressure in the factory tire tubes to drop fairly quickly? Like losing 10 pounds of pressure in a week? This is a six month old, low mileage bike, btw.

Old 07-10-2024, 09:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks & Turkeys View Post
Y'all, is it normal for pressure in the factory tire tubes to drop fairly quickly? Like losing 10 pounds of pressure in a week? This is a six month old, low mileage bike, btw.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to make sure the valve core are snug. If snug then you can check them, with out sounding too crude, a little bit of liquid.

Old 07-11-2024, 12:35 AM   #3

I never ran the stock tubes. They are generally thin and not known for their longevity. I had both go flat fairly quickly on my first bike. I never used the stock tubes on my current one.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-11-2024, 11:05 AM   #4

I think it was Minibike Mike that I was watching pull a tube out of a bike, never having messed with it since buying the bike. It had a patch on it.

My Hawk is a year old with about 1800 miles on it, no problems with the stock tubes. I do have the thicker ones ready to go, but haven't needed them, yet.

To answer the OP's question, mine do lose pressure over time, but it's definitely less than 10 psi per week. Maybe 2-3 psi per week.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-11-2024, 01:18 PM   #5

I have after market tubes and they don't lose much if any air. I did have an issue early on with my front losing air. It was a loose valve in the stem. If I were you, I'd start there like Bill Hilly suggested. I think he may have been suggesting some soapy water(liquid) to help find the leak.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 07-11-2024, 01:30 PM   #6

If it isn’t a loose valve core, spray some of that soapy water on your tire to see if you have a puncture. I had the same problem with my Hawk DLX and it also was the core needing a snug.

Old 07-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do©Hawk View Post
I have after market tubes and they don't lose much if any air. I did have an issue early on with my front losing air. It was a loose valve in the stem. If I were you, I'd start there like Bill Hilly suggested. I think he may have been suggesting some soapy water(liquid) to help find the leak.
We always used spit to check a leaking valve core. LOL. Maybe I can become an internet viral sensation. " Chquuh , Ya have to get it wet" will be the best big thang. ! Gonna be famous! LOL

Old 07-11-2024, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
We always used spit to check a leaking valve core. LOL. Maybe I can become an internet viral sensation. " Chquuh , Ya have to get it wet" will be the best big thang. ! Gonna be famous! LOL
I didn't understand why you were worried about sounding crude, but that makes sense.....lol hughk-tooey.....
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)