Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2024, 04:59 PM   #1

From what I have experienced so far the Texas chiclids, Herichthys cyanoguttatus, have been a pleasant surprise.

the growth rate in 6 months has been about 1.5" to 9" which is not bad at all. If you go from a mind set of 2 fish per serve rather than just 1 fish. I have not taken any weights... just went with a tummy grumble indicator.

Fish behavior has also been a surprise especially with other tank mates and breeding pairs cohabitation...yes there's a bit of argie-bargie but no major injuries or belly floaters...

High density stock rates look to be feasible...

Also I would even imagine this species viable for a small scale indoor aquaponic system for someone renting/apartment/unit situation. Who does not have the space for larger scale. As the current 10 fish I have are in a 5ft 300lt/80US gallon glass aquarium are doing fine. So I could imagine with decent filtration in a bare bottom 120gal 25+ fish with a few shelves of grow beds above it would be enough to supplement a persons diet with fresh fish and vegetables grown at home.

And the fish would be less likely to out grow the tank capacity like bigger growing species..tilapia included.

Anyway found this YT content creator catching Texas cichlids and cooking them so thought I'd share as I think he deserves more subscribers...