Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2024, 03:00 PM   #5

SPRINGS for the TITAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit352 View Post
Today was suspension day. I had some spare time and after the adventures of yesterday I knew the suspension was my biggest problem.
The rear shock is hopeless for me. At 230lbs I'm just too much for it. I've got the preload set to about 3 inches of sag and that's all I can do. It bottoms out pretty regularly, certainly with any bit of a jump, no matter how small. I'm looking for a direct replacement now and have high hopes for an older ktm 250 unit.
The front is a bit better and I think it's something I can work with. First thing I did was dump the old oil out and get a proper measurement. Both sides were dead on 200ml. I suspect the grade is either 7.5 or maybe 10. I refilled it with belray 10 weight @210ml and took measurements while I was there for new springs and custom preload spacers.
The results with the front were great compared to the old set up. I still bottom out but it isn't as severe or as frequent. The front end gives better feedback and is much much smoother. I think some preload spacers will really help while I hunt down springs.
HEY BROTHER! I too am experimenting. There is a company in Oklahoma City named CANNON Racecraft that does custom spring winding for both Front forks at around $175 a set,.. and Rear Springs for $180 including Powder Coating. They also do fork and shock therapy, but I'm not sure these ZUUMAV externally non-adjustable units are internally adjustable either. I'm gonna send my shock to them before the forks. I also did the 10W at 220ml, and added a 17mm PVC spacer above the spring. Better but still bottoms, and the rear is preloade to the point I had no static sag and about 2-1/2" loaded. I weigh 180lbs, 200 with all my gear on. It is simply dangerous on a MX track until the suspension is fixed. A blast on the trails, but bottoms over the big stuff. Wallows over a lot of stuff. The wheelbase is only 54" vs 57+ on a full size bike, and the seat height is 34-1/2", not the 35 or even 36" it states on some ads. It's a 7/8 size MX bike. I raced RM 250's and 450 RMZ's. The TITAN is a great little bike, underpowered, but built like a battleship. For the $$$,.... it's unbeatable. powersportsmax.com has the DLX version with all the street legal DOT stuff for $30 more than the dirt version. $1280 + $300 shipping. There is nothing else in the USA that is a better deal, bang for the buck. $1500! And the X-PRO TEMPLAR 250X with the 6 speed counterbalanced motor, and adjustable suspension for $2000 + shipping is the BEST at that price point. Maybe the BEST overall deal...PERIOD! If my budget was $2k..... The TEMPLAR is hands down...the WINNER!! NOTE: Trailmaster sells the same bike as the TITAN, but claim 57" wheel base, and a 37" seat height on the TM33. motobuys.com sells them. IDK how they get the bigger dimensions. Looks like taller seat foam, but the longer wheelbase? Swingarm longer? $2000 + $400 shipping vs $1500 delivered on the X-PRO.