Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2024, 12:55 PM   #1

Oiling issue

I am new to the forum, but have owned my Hawk 250 for a little over a year. I bought it new in February of 2023. I have put 2000 miles on it with no issues. Recently while adjusting the valve lash I noticed the rocker was darker in color, as well as the push rod on the intake side. I cleaned it up put it back together and went on a short ride and somehow bent a valve and lost compression. Ordered a new head assembly and installed it, adjusted valves started it up and have gone on a few short rides. On the last start up noticed a louder tapping noise. Removed valve cover and seems like the same issue is reoccurring. It seems as if the valves are not getting properly lubricated. I have used a compressor to check the passageways in the valve cover to make sure they are clear . Not sure what else to check and fear if I continue to run it I will mess up another head assembly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2024, 06:58 PM   #2

Leave the valve cover off and crank the engine over with the kill switch off so it doesn't start and verify oil is making it up to the head. Or, do start it and be prepared to kill it if oil does come up so you don't make too big of a mess.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-10-2024, 06:10 AM   #3

Lack of oil wouldn't cause a bent valve. Sounds like you are not adjusting the valves correctly, as this problem arose after your valve maintenance.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 06-10-2024, 05:42 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses. I like the idea of cranking the engine to make sure oil is getting to that point. And yes the bent valve was most definitely my screw up. One day the bike would not start and I narrowed it down to no compression, pulled the valve cover and realized intake valve was not closing so like a total dummy I gave it a little help with a screwdriver. That was probably the reason for the bent valve. However it wasn’t closing because the rocker had seized to the rod that it's supposed to freely pivot on, which is why I believe it is not getting oiled properly.

Old 06-10-2024, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera rider View Post
Thank you for the responses. I like the idea of cranking the engine to make sure oil is getting to that point. And yes the bent valve was most definitely my screw up. One day the bike would not start and I narrowed it down to no compression, pulled the valve cover and realized intake valve was not closing so like a total dummy I gave it a little help with a screwdriver. That was probably the reason for the bent valve. However it wasn’t closing because the rocker had seized to the rod that it's supposed to freely pivot on, which is why I believe it is not getting oiled properly.
Oh, that makes more sense. Hmmm, does sound like something funky going on with lubrication.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 06-10-2024, 09:02 PM   #6

Left valve cover off, started up the bike and no oil came up. I am not familiar with how these things pump oil, so unless there is something I am not thinking of my next guess is to tear down the top end looking for some sort of blockage.

Old 06-10-2024, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera rider View Post
Left valve cover off, started up the bike and no oil came up. I am not familiar with how these things pump oil, so unless there is something I am not thinking of my next guess is to tear down the top end looking for some sort of blockage.
Oil comes directly from the pump and goes straight up through the valve cover through the cylinder and cylinder head via the right rear head stud. If one of the gaskets was installed wrong it would block the oil flow. If I had to guess as to which one, I would say the base gasket. Or somebody put a dowel for the head in that location somehow (less likely.)
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-11-2024, 06:55 AM   #8

Megadan's advice is sound. I'd pull the clutch cover first and verify there isn't an oil pump drive gear issue, but barring that you'll need to start taking off the top end to find where the restriction is. Alternately, you could send a little forced air down the oil gallery from the head and see if it is indeed blocked.

Old 06-15-2024, 02:58 PM   #9

Took off the clutch plate, didn’t seem to be any issues with the gear. Disassembled the top end and did not seem to find any blockage.

Old 06-15-2024, 03:19 PM   #10

Just wondering out loud here, the screen in the side drain plug on the left hand side of the motor, is it clean? I’m thinking the screen could be plugged?

Old 06-16-2024, 08:42 AM   #11

With the top end removed, are you getting oil coming out of the right rear head stud hole when spinning the engine over?

Old 06-16-2024, 08:51 AM   #12

I have not checked the screen, but oil change was very recent and I pulled and cleaned it then. And no I did not get oil to come up when when I turned it over, however I did not turn it over much because I was hesitant because I had never disassembled the motor that far before.