Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2024, 09:12 AM   #1

Coolster 125cc ATV - Will not electric start

Hello,
I recently picked up a used Coolster 125cc ATV that the previous owner had said they had push-started it for the past few years because the electric start didn't work. It did not have a battery when I got it. I have since installed a battery and a new electric start switch. However, nothing happens when I turn the key on and try to start it. I am pressing the brakes but still nothing happens. I should also note that if I try to turn the lights on, they do not come on, so it seems something is wrong with the wiring/system. Does anyone have a complete wiring diagram showing all of the connections? I have noted that there is one loose wire I am unsure where it is supposed to connect to. See the attached image.

I should also note that I can start the machine using a reverse drill or by bridging across the solenoid with a screwdriver. And the engine cutoff switch does not cut off the engine when running. I have to apply the choke to turn the machine off.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240530_085600_compress29.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	31501  

Old 05-30-2024, 10:30 AM   #2

I do not believe anyone has a true and accurate wiring chart for any China made bike or quad. You may find what looks like one, but the factory changed it five minutes after it was posted on the internet.

When I finally found a diagram for the CG motorcycles I discovered that all the wire colors and combinations were changed from the published data. Even the little Chinese girl that built that wiring harness could not tell you what that lose wire goes to!

What I have discovered on all of them is that there are two separate electrical circuits, one for the running of the vehicle and lights, and a separate unconnected system that controls the starter, relay, and starter button. I am pretty sure that is due to the engines all being developed back in the day when everything was kick started and modified for electric start latter.

You are faced with the same problem everyone has, tracing down circuits and looking for broken, crossed, frayed and grounded wires.