Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2023, 03:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburk View Post
new problem
took the hawk for i quick ride to my dads house to show him the new bike. on the way home i got on it a bit and at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it started to bog down pretty good. i am not very smart at tuning carbs but i can manage kind of.

do you think i should shim the needle with a washer or try a 110 jet what is your guys thoughts.
How is it behaving with wide open throttle (WOT) ? Does the bogging go away?

If it does, and runs strong at WOT, then it would seem like a needle position thing. Air screw could also need to be set richer. I know airscrew is supposed to be mostly for low end, but mine was way too lean and it was causing problems in the midrange.

If you still have bogging at WOT, then maybe the main jet is too rich (or too lean). I don't know how other Hawk owners jet a stock Hawk (jet sizes). Need a Hawk owner to advise here. You are completely stock setup, right?

Old 11-04-2023, 08:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
How is it behaving with wide open throttle (WOT) ? Does the bogging go away?

If it does, and runs strong at WOT, then it would seem like a needle position thing. Air screw could also need to be set richer. I know airscrew is supposed to be mostly for low end, but mine was way too lean and it was causing problems in the midrange.

If you still have bogging at WOT, then maybe the main jet is too rich (or too lean). I don't know how other Hawk owners jet a stock Hawk (jet sizes). Need a Hawk owner to advise here. You are completely stock setup, right?
Well I haven't pushed it to wide open throttle since it's been bogging down in the mid-range I will try that today. Everything is stock except for the 115 jet and the shim that I tried yesterday.
When I broke into the carburetor I did adjust the fuel mixture screw out half a turn because it did not want to idle out of the box it idles much better now but it could maybe go another quarter to half a turn .I will also try that when I pull the carb off can't hardly get to it while it's on the bike.
Thank you

Also I got my old smart phone out I'll try and remember to get a picture of the shim and things for you all

Old 11-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburk View Post
Also I got my old smart phone out I'll try and remember to get a picture of the shim and things for you all
Thanks. Seeing things like the clip, and how the throttle cable compresses the big slide spring can be useful for other Hawk owners... And of course, where you place the washer(s) !

The clip doesn't fit right on my shimmed needle after shimming, because the additional thickness of the washer prevents it from seating in the detent down in the tower. BUT, the big slide spring holds it down once the cable is reinstalled on the slide anyway.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Thanks. Seeing things like the clip, and how the throttle cable compresses the big slide spring can be useful for other Hawk owners... And of course, where you place the washer(s) !

The clip doesn't fit right on my shimmed needle after shimming, because the additional thickness of the washer prevents it from seating in the detent down in the tower. BUT, the big slide spring holds it down once the cable is reinstalled on the slide anyway.
Success
I took the carb off and added a second washer and while I had it off since it's easy to get to I adjusted the fuel mixture screw from one and a half to two turns out. I took it for a quick two block ride and she does not bog out and I got on her pretty good
thank you for the help on that

Old 11-05-2023, 03:24 PM   #20

so i have a whooping 29 miles on the hawk now. where to go from here? my thoughts (cheap for now) are
1. exhausts
2. sprockets and chain
3. carb
that being said are they worth it?
exhausts: https://www.amazon.com/JFG-RACING-Mo...3d670b6bc&th=1

sprocket and chain : i dont know alot about them but i have seen people say oring chains are really good

carb : i have heard a lot of good things about nibbi carbs was thinking about this one

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-PE...3d670b6bc&th=1

what are your guys thoughts and recommendations also what about flat slide carbs are they good?

Old 11-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #21

i have the nibbi kit specifically for the hawk... it works really well and is a breeze to install... i am going to have to fiddle with it as it is kinda bogging down close to WOT... overall the quality is really good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDVWX9NF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230927_120331.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	30333  

Old 11-05-2023, 05:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017hawk250 View Post
i have the nibbi kit specifically for the hawk... it works really well and is a breeze to install... i am going to have to fiddle with it as it is kinda bogging down close to WOT... overall the quality is really good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDVWX9NF
nice i like that. i was thinking about the one with the flange. only because that would be one less piece of rubber to worry about.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #23

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on that digital dash.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on that digital dash.
yes where can i get one of those. that was another thing i am interested in but that is more on the cosmetic side.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #25

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8YF75Y

Old 11-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017hawk250 View Post
thanks is it all plug and play or is there some wiring to do

Old 11-07-2023, 07:36 PM   #27

ok guys i am most likely going to get sprockets and chain this Friday and i need all of your help. this is the thing i am most unsure about
so this is what i have found

17 front
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MPGW0VRZ8&th=1

45 rear
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

chain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GEBLBY10&psc=1

what are your thought and/ or recommendations

Old 11-07-2023, 08:14 PM   #28

Get a x ring chain. It will be much easier to maintain. The x ring will keep water out of the chain links. https://amzn.to/463mhlA
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-08-2023, 08:43 PM   #29

new problem kinda

so i got board tonight and did the air box mod. i filled out the two little tabs and got it all back together. started the bike and and revved it up. now i figured this would change some throttle response and when i snap the throttle fast it will bog and die. if i roll in to it slow its all good. i took it for a ride and rode how i normally do and it rode fine. i dont like that it bogs when in N.

is it the slow jet? do i need to go up one size.

thanks

Old 11-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #30

Ordered a new chain and sprockets they should be here on Wednesday. Also go the bike to 108 miles. I am going to change the oil and see how shiny it is lol hopefully not . Haven't got around to switching the slow jet it seems fine while riding but in neutral it bogs when I snap the throttle. I'll probably just get a nibbi next month some time.

I am really happy with is bike. I do want to make it in to a mini adventure bike. Recommendations on good tail and side cases would be appreciated if anyone knows of any