Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2023, 12:55 PM   #16

Man, yall are late to the party..... i am 35, not got heart issues (yet) but am a multiple bilateral (both lungs) pulmonary embolism survivor.... doubt many 35 yr olds have hemotologist appts every year.... at least i am still on the right side of the dirt....LOL

Old 06-13-2023, 04:44 PM   #17

I'm glad all you guys are still here and riding. I have another heart cath at 8am tomorrow. Maybe another stent or 2 (3?). But today I spent the afternoon riding the snot out of my KPR 200. 144 miles hitting every twisty road I know around here. I know the odds are very low but if anything goes wrong I at least got one more ride in.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:05 PM   #18

Way to go bikenut,keeps us young. Best of Luck.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #19

Heart cath resulted in finding blockages not yet bad enough for intervention. So more investigation is needed to find the problem of chest discomfort/pain.

Old 06-15-2023, 11:23 AM   #20

I managed to sneak in my bloodwork yesterday. Except for my high A1C level(expected), all was where it’s supposed to be.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-06-2023, 08:36 PM   #21

I had a stress test many many years ago. They had the treadmill and the cot in a really cramped room, with the cot at the foot of the treadmill. They had a hard time getting my pulse rate up to their target. They kept speeding the treadmill up faster and faster, but never could get me up to their target rate. As the treadmill went faster and faster, my stride kept getting longer and longer until I could feel my heels brushing on the frame of the cot. I was scared to death that my heel was gonna hit that cot and I was gonna blow my Achilles Tendon. The tech finally gave up and told me to jump on the cot, they did the ultrasound, and called it good.

I was rejected by the draft board in the first draft lottery. My lottery number was 14 by the way. So I was going in, no doubt. At the induction center physical they took a chest x-ray, then shortly after the doctor called me in and gave me a 4F. I didn't want to be toting an M60 through Southeast Asia swamps anyway, so I was good with that.

A few years later I tried to enlist in the Navy. Same thing. I went for the physical, they did a chest x-ray, then kicked me out.

Now I'm a pretty big guy. Over 6' tall, size 14 feet, and shoulders and rib cage so broad that I have to swivel my shoulders a little bit sideways to fit through a normal 30" passageway door without banging my elbows.

Now, a few years later I had gotten married and we had our first kid, and I figured I should go get a physical. A similar thing happened. I got the chest x-ray, and right after that the doctor had his nurse hook me up to an EKG machine. At the end of the physical, the doctor told me what he saw. He said that when he looked at the chest x-ray, he thought I had an enlarged heart! That was why he ordered the EKG. He said he had never seen a healthy heart that showed up so large on a chest x-ray. But when he looked at the EKG strip, he said it was perfect. His actual words were to the effect that if he wanted to show a class of med school students a perfect EKG strip he could show them mine! He was totally baffled.

He said he sat in his office, stared at the x-ray, and thought about it for a little while. He finally got he med school anatomy textbook out and went to the chapter where they had ratios listed, and looked at the size of the heart compared to the width of the rib cage. He said he took some dividers and scaled my heart width and compared that to rib cage width, and mine was perfect.

He called me a freak of nature.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #22

One other thing: I spent about 35 years on the fire department. Now we had a standard operating procedure that, if you were at a scene where you had to wear a breathing apparatus (similar to a scuba outfit), when you came out of the occupancy that was on fire, you couldn't just get a fresh air tank and go back inside. You first had to report to the "Rehab Sector" set up with an ambulance and a couple of paramedics. They would take your vital signs, and if your numbers were above a certain threshold you had to stay in rehab and rest for 15 minutes. If your numbers were then OK, you could go back to work. If still too high you would have to wait for another 15 minutes.

Now as I said above, I am a pretty big guy, and carried a bunch of extra weight. Now what usually would happen is that you would see a young really in-shape firefighter go to rehab, and he would be kept back to wait for his vitals to come back down. But when they tested me, they would always be kind of puzzled, since they expected my vitals would be through the roof. But mine would be right back down to normal first time. I told one medic once that my heart was like that old reserve pumper truck we had - no matter how much you revved the engine, that old pump would only flow so much water and no more!

Old 08-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #23

Yeah, that's pretty much with me. My A1C has been out of control for about a year and a half. I broke my kneecap back then, and it wasn't healing right. If I did any kind of exercise, even if it was to walk through Home Depot or mow my grass or something, my blood glucose would go through the roof. And the doctor wouldn't do any surgery to screw my kneecap back together, as he said my arthritis was so bad - I'm 71 years old, by the way - that he said I was going to need both knees replaced anyway, as I am bone-on-bone. And if they do any surgery on the kneecap it would leave scar tissue that would interfere with the knee replacement surgery.

I knew from x-rays that the broken end of the kneecap was separated by about 1/4" from the rest of it, and I could actually see how it was displaced just looking at my knee. So I just started massaging it and pressing on it myself, and I finally have it pushed back together myself! It feels much better now.

So with my knee kind of stuck back together, my system isn't expending a bunch of effort trying to heal it, and by blood glucose has dropped back in the 80-120 range!

Like you, the rest of my numbers are excellent.

I told my doctor that I was planning to live to be 100 - even if I have to lie about my age!

Old 08-07-2023, 02:49 AM   #24

Man, I`m just happy to hear all you old "tickers" are stil ticking. You`all take care of yourself please

Me, myself and I was diagnosed with Addisons Disease in 1992, been on cortizone ever since. Now at 61, I`m as fit as a fiddle, very very thankful for that. Resting pulse around 57.

Still hit the gym 3 times a week and take every day to the fullest.
Heart rate, of course, will increase as soon as I pull that helmet over my head and look at "my Girl" with loving eyes...

2023 Big Boy Mustang
1998 GSXR400R
1996 GSXR1100G (Sadly sold her; big mistake)
1988 KL250

https://www.youtube.com/@nutlangsworld

Old 08-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #25

I used to ride my Harley and park in parking lots of empty buildings. Then I started doing pushups in the parking lot. That's what they used to tell me about my "disease". It's out in the parking lot, doing pushups, waiting for me. I figured hell, I better start doing pushups, too! I can feel my Hawk pulling me in the same direction. Pushup time! Drop and give me twenty!!! You're all worthless and weak!!!!!!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-08-2023, 01:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I used to ride my Harley and park in parking lots of empty buildings. Then I started doing pushups in the parking lot. That's what they used to tell me about my "disease". It's out in the parking lot, doing pushups, waiting for me. I figured hell, I better start doing pushups, too! I can feel my Hawk pulling me in the same direction. Pushup time! Drop and give me twenty!!! You're all worthless and weak!!!!!!
nothing as good as the good old pushup...

2023 Big Boy Mustang
1998 GSXR400R
1996 GSXR1100G (Sadly sold her; big mistake)
1988 KL250

https://www.youtube.com/@nutlangsworld