Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #1

Hawk for the street.

Hello fellow riders,

I'm looking to optimize my Hawk motorcycle for street riding and have no plans for off-road adventures. In this regard, I am considering the following tires:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GRS4Q4/?coliid=I27JN5FPQ5375Q&colid=13D9F5ML9HZOX&psc=1&r ef_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Since I'm focused on pure street performance, I would also like to determine the most suitable sprocket setup. Currently, I have a 17-tooth front sprocket paired with a 50-tooth rear sprocket. However, I wish to order a smaller sprocket that aligns better with my cruising needs, considering that I often ride around town and encounter roads with a speed limit of 55 mph.

While I may make some performance upgrades in the future that could benefit from a smaller sprocket, for now, I would like to know the best option for my bike in its stock configuration.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #2

FWIW, you might consider something more like an adventure tire. they still perform well on the street but on the off idea that you want to head down some adventurous roads, you're set up to do that.

I believe I installed a 46 rear on mine. do some searches on the forum and you'll probably find more info than you want.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:15 AM   #3

43 or 45 tooth rear sprocket will be good for pure street.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-16-2023, 09:43 AM   #4

I doubt you'll be dragging knees , elbows and pegs on the corners to get the most out of street rubber and avoiding chicken strips.

a dualsport tire will be more than capable for the asphalt while coping better with any loose surface roads like gravel.

I am using Dunlop 605s front and back and I have no issue with on road performance.

The Shinko 244 aka "goldenboy' and similar pattern Kenda 270 also get good cost to performance 50/50 reports.

Fairly easy to find and low cost.

None of these tires a true big block knobbies.

17-45 is the go to road use sprocket ratio.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
I doubt you'll be dragging knees , elbows and pegs on the corners to get the most out of street rubber and avoiding chicken strips.

a dualsport tire will be more than capable for the asphalt while coping better with any loose surface roads like gravel.

I am using Dunlop 605s front and back and I have no issue with on road performance.

The Shinko 244 aka "goldenboy' and similar pattern Kenda 270 also get good cost to performance 50/50 reports.

Fairly easy to find and low cost.

None of these tires a true big block knobbies.

17-45 is the go to road use sprocket ratio.
I am not trying to drag pegs or whatever dude, I want a smoother ride. These tires look incredibly smooth and I feel they would lower overall road noise and vibration. fwiw not everyone on this site is trying to go 90 mph on a bike built for 50.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:40 PM   #6

The reason the street tires are round profile is to hook up with tighter lean angles.

Then there are the possible issues of running a tubeless tire on a spoked rim tube type wheel, so keep that in mind.

as for road noise and vibration...well you're riding a single cylinder without a balance shaft.

I never even brought up going or top speed...so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop using that as an instant defense mechanism every time someone makes a valid criticism.

You have been creating a plethora if new topics about every single possible change to your new bike.

If you want to put more road oriented rubber on the bike do it...

Perhaps stick to 1 post about your bike and all the personal things you did to it and tells us how it went, as opposed to expecting everyone here to lay out redcarpet every time you want to farkle your bike.