Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #1

T-Motorsports or Motorxtremes Hi-Bird?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying an Enduro to use on the road to get back and forth to work. In the beginning I was trying to decide between getting vintage "brand name" bike, but reading up on these China bikes has changed my mind. I understand that they are actually quality bikes in a lot of cases.

My dilemma right now is between getting a TMS200GY-5 from T-Motorsports or what I think (according to what I've found here) is a Hi-Bird 200XP from Motorxtreme (both eBay dealers).

Based on performance of the bikes and performance of each dealer at getting you everything you need to register the bike, which would you recomend? I'm a small guy, so I'm thinking the hi-bird might be good for me because it's a little smaller, but I don't really know.

I've e-mailed Lifan to get a list of dealers in my area, so I may end up buying one in person. I'd prefer to do that, but until then, which source would you trust more on eBay?

If anyone has an anecdotes about registering anything similar in Georgia, I would love to hear them.

Thanks a lot!

Zac

Old 02-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #2

If it helps, the two specific auctions I'm looking at are...
Lifan
Motoxtremes

Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #3

Hey, I just got my 200GY-5 from T Motorsports. I did have trouble getting it registered today in Tennessee. The lady said the certificate of origin had to be signed by the t motorsports, but it wasn't. I called T Motorsports and the lady was really nice, told me the info and told me to forge their signature :wink: . Anyway, then I went to a different registration office. They accepted it, but then needed an odometer verification. I called T Motorsports (actually called Calhome Inc.) in California. They were very helpful in faxing out all that info. Actually, one of the faxes had the signature of the man that I had forged 8O . Thankfully, the guy at the clerk's office didn't notice the difference . It took me about 2 hours at the office to get it all done, but I got it done. Anyway, that is a longwinded way to say that T Motorsports seems to do anything they can to help you. Although there were no assembly instructions included. I had to wing it. The bike looks like a really good bike. I haven't started it up yet. Still need to lock-tite stuff and fill with gas, etc. Hope this helped, and didn't just bore you.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #4

Hey Zac,
This is the same dilemma I was in when I was looking for a bike, these 2 exact models, from e-bay.. I went with T-motorsports and got the 06 Lifan 200 GY-5 and have had no regrets, it's a great bike.. I'm pretty sure the lifan is a better bike but I could be wrong, the lifan has a rear disc brake, different plastics, ships from CA., $199 vs. $345 shipping and it just seemed beefier.. After much research, reading and talking to the guys on this site, I made up my mind and bought the GY-5, look up my profile and read my posts and see the pics.. If the price was a major problem I probably would have went with the Motoxtremes bike but I tend to trust my gut feeling on alot of things and an extra 100 bucks ain't that big of a deal if you may have to replace parts later...Hope this helps you, if you have any questions PM me back... Good luck...

Old 02-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #5

Amad, Welcome,
I just did the same with T-motorsports probably talked to the same girl, it does suck that the MCO isn't filled out but that is part of the risk of these bikes.. Did you get it Loc-tited together, mine had no instructions either but I've been working on my own bikes all my life, if you have any questions just ask, I'll be more than happy to help.. Enjoy!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #6

I haven't Lock-tite yet. I'm charging my battery right now. I should have time to lock-tite and adjust everything tomorrow and go for the first ride on it. By the way, would you change the factory oil first? I've heard people say they would, but the manual says that it was shipped with 15W-40. What would you suggest? Also, the manual says to use 93 or higher octane fuel, but I think the octane rating is different than we use here in the states. What octane do you use? As far as putting the bike together, it took several times putting the rear axle in and out to get all the parts/spacer in correctly, but I have gotten everything together, except the hand guards. Ride on.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #7

Amad,
There is a bike prep thread/Sticky at the top of the dual sport page, this list was written out of experience and this should be followed and YES change the oil, NOW!!! You'll have metal shavings in your crank case that you dont want there during break-in... My best advice is to take your time and go thru your bike and put it together right, it'll save you alot of hassle in the long run...

Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #8

Okay, I found one more bike that's about $100 cheaper than the Lifan and their shipping is better too, but I don't know anything about it. Would someone take a look and tell me what they think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

They call it a VX200S

Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #9

That is a viva, we have two vx200se vivas and love them. We had them shipped to us here in hawaii and had no problem with them. They now have 1000 k on them. All the prep work was necessary but they are good bikes. We had good tech support also. The paper work came and we had no problems registering. Have fun and ride Hard!!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #10

Go here

http://www.xxx-motorsports.com/

That exact bike for $1029 delivered to your door!

Old 02-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #11

The Roketa IS a good bike. Just make sure you contact the dealer FIRST and confirm that you can get the correct MCO and Bill of Sale for registration purposes in your state.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #12

Basically it looks like the same bike as the Lifan just with a few minor differences, plastics being the most notable. It's not a bad looking bike, I really like the colored rims. A couple of the guys here ride Viva's and they seem to like them. I guess it just comes down to preference and style.. Just make sure whoever you deal with can have the MCO filled out for you and has parts available..

Old 02-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #13

After looking into these guys feedback a little I've decided not to go with them. I don't doubt the Roketa, but people had some bad things to say about their customer service and their most common response was something like "LIAR!!!" This doesn't give me a really rosie feeling about them.

Right now I'm bidding on the Hi-Bird, it's the most within my reach. I would have to put some of the Lifan on my credit card, and I'd rather not do that. With the Hi-Bird, I'll have enough left to pay for my registration and tag too.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #14

Roketa

You may be able to get a bike cheaper from xxx-motorsports.com than ebay, (they don't pay ebay a fee!) they also ship to your home address rather than a freight terminal.

Ebay and feed back is not really a reflection of the bike.. just the ebay dealer.

Good luck with your choice

NET

Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #15

Hi Amad,
Change that oil, Put 1 quart the cheapest 15-40 in you can find and change it again in 50 miles.

You can see what came out of my bike here:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...iewtopic&t=895

My bike came from a local dealer that assured me that an oil change had been done with the bike prep. I have my doubts about that. I think the $200.00 or so spent on the bike prep was bogus since I had to go back and tighten and lok-tight every nut myself and after seeing what came out of the case. But I paid extra to have a ready source of parts and future dealer support.

After you have done your first two oil changes switch to a quality oil of your choice.

Don't forget to check the gap on your plug, alot of us found it to be out of spec from the factory.