Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #1

Excellent work Pete! Those things are well stuck with some kind of badass locktite aren't they!

The grinding approach is a backup. I'm glad you didn't have to resort to that

A note on jetting. I started the bike yesterday in freezing weather. It barely needed a momentary choke. Stalled, and then it started without choke, bone cold. I think I am a bit rich on the pilot jet.

The other think it did was it started to drift up to a high idle. I am pretty sure this same behavior happened to someone else recently. I thought maybe it was leaning out from a intake spigot leak (the rubber connector between the carb and head). But this really makes no sense since it didn't even need choke to start at 32 degrees cold!

I put the bike back under the tarp. Too cold to ride. This doesn't affect performance, but I would sure like to know what is causing this

Old 11-17-2022, 08:27 PM   #2

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Excellent work Pete! Those things are well stuck with some kind of badass locktite aren't they!

The grinding approach is a backup. I'm glad you didn't have to resort to that

A note on jetting. I started the bike yesterday in freezing weather. It barely needed a momentary choke. Stalled, and then it started without choke, bone cold. I think I am a bit rich on the pilot jet.

The other think it did was it started to drift up to a high idle. I am pretty sure this same behavior happened to someone else recently. I thought maybe it was leaning out from a intake spigot leak (the rubber connector between the carb and head). But this really makes no sense since it didn't even need choke to start at 32 degrees cold!

I put the bike back under the tarp. Too cold to ride. This doesn't affect performance, but I would sure like to know what is causing this
Mine would idle high sometimes, as well-and occasionally stall. I didn't ride mine for about 4 days last week, and I pulled it out of the garage. It started, died, and wouldn't start again. I've only run non-eth in it, so I know it didn't clog up with corn syrup. Checked fuel filter and flow, checked for spark-good. New NGK plug for a laugh. Nothing. So I did what all real men do, and pulled the boot...and blasted it with starting fluid. Started, ran out of laughing gas, and died. I could likely figure this carb out, but I don't have the patience right now. I'm in the middle of a street tracker build, so I'm looking for my other bikes to be runners. I ordered a Nibbi PE28 for it, and I'll give it a shot. If that fails, I'll get a real PE28. They're really not expensive, and I know they work. Some of the Chinese carbs are a real crapshoot.
I used to commute on a 2012 CCW Misfit. It was 5 years old with 9k miles when I bought it. Aside from a clogged emission mess once, it was dead reliable. I fixed all of that,and cleaned/rebuilt/rejetted the carb. It ran great. I sold it to a friend of my wife who's my age three years ago (I'm 52 now) who always wanted to learn how to ride. I clean the carb for her at the beginning of every spring, because she doesn't understand that "premium" doesn't mean non-eth. Literally emptied syrup out of it this year. Carb cleaner, compressed air...BOOM! Runs great. Carb looks like absolute cheap trash, but the bike always runs fantastic (when clean!!)
Might buy the bike back just for the carb.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imposing Will View Post
Mine would idle high sometimes, as well-and occasionally stall. I didn't ride mine for about 4 days last week, and I pulled it out of the garage. It started, died, and wouldn't start again. I've only run non-eth in it, so I know it didn't clog up with corn syrup. Checked fuel filter and flow, checked for spark-good. New NGK plug for a laugh. Nothing. So I did what all real men do, and pulled the boot...and blasted it with starting fluid. Started, ran out of laughing gas, and died. I could likely figure this carb out, but I don't have the patience right now. I'm in the middle of a street tracker build, so I'm looking for my other bikes to be runners. I ordered a Nibbi PE28 for it, and I'll give it a shot. If that fails, I'll get a real PE28. They're really not expensive, and I know they work. Some of the Chinese carbs are a real crapshoot.
I used to commute on a 2012 CCW Misfit. It was 5 years old with 9k miles when I bought it. Aside from a clogged emission mess once, it was dead reliable. I fixed all of that,and cleaned/rebuilt/rejetted the carb. It ran great. I sold it to a friend of my wife who's my age three years ago (I'm 52 now) who always wanted to learn how to ride. I clean the carb for her at the beginning of every spring, because she doesn't understand that "premium" doesn't mean non-eth. Literally emptied syrup out of it this year. Carb cleaner, compressed air...BOOM! Runs great. Carb looks like absolute cheap trash, but the bike always runs fantastic (when clean!!)
Might buy the bike back just for the carb.
I have observed that it seems to run better with more gas in the tank. More pressure on the fuel filter? I am going to replace it. Hammer, piggy bank, Pow! Deep pockets

Old 02-01-2023, 07:00 PM   #4

update on idle stability

I did already describe sealing up the "manifold" up against the head with high temp RTV (single port intake plenum ?? )

Anyway, I was wondering about the OEM fuel filter. Is it flowing freely? So I got an inexpensive high flow 1/4" inline filter (under $4 from auto parts store). It is small and was an easy install.

Name:  inlineFuelFilter.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  32.6 KB

I also worked on the choke linkage, which was sticky. After assembling it all back together, put the gas tank back on, added a gallon of premium (I use no ethanol high octane during break-in), and started it.

It needed some choke, but settled into a nice idle-elevated with my new easy big knob slide height screw! After a few revs, I dropped the slide a bit and ran it for a minute to warm up the engine (COLD OUT). Then took a ride. Running great and when I returned a few minutes later, I parked it and dropped the idle to ~1500rpm. Steady and stable, no stall!!!

I think a combination of leaky intake manifold seal and slow flow filter might have been causing the unstable idle and stalling. FIXED!

Old 02-04-2023, 12:44 AM   #5

Hey Thumper, could we see some picks of the bike now that it is lowered? Did you also raise the fork tubes up in the triple clamps? If so, how much? From other pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like they can be raised much before hitting the handlebar.
I've been lurking about gathering info but have yet to place a order for a Templar X. Am concerned about the seat height/swinging my leg over the seat (I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam).

Old 02-04-2023, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleWobble View Post
Hey Thumper, could we see some picks of the bike now that it is lowered? Did you also raise the fork tubes up in the triple clamps? If so, how much? From other pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like they can be raised much before hitting the handlebar.
I've been lurking about gathering info but have yet to place a order for a Templar X. Am concerned about the seat height/swinging my leg over the seat (I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam).
You will need to install handle bar risers to get the extra clearance.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-05-2023, 12:55 PM   #7

lowered

About 3" lower. It sags a couple inches when I sit on it. I did tension the preload on the rear shock to compensate and prevent it from compressing too far now that it is closer to the fender.

Name:  34and half-sm.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  172.0 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 02-05-2023 at 04:37 PM.