Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #1

Hawk 250 battery/ won’t start

So I’ve been having problems getting my bike started. The kick won’t work and the electric start won’t work. When I turn the key to the on position, the lights and electrical work. As soon as I try to hit the electric start, sometimes the motor the starter motor does work I feel the bike kind of moving a little and there is a little bit coming from the exhaust. Yet the bike won’t turn on. After a while, trying to electric motor, it slows down a little and then all of a sudden I hear a buzzing noise from the battery area. I just kind of feel like it’s because the battery I have isn’t powerful enough. I have an es5lbs battery and it’s worked fine since I bought the bike. I did have to replace the battery so the one I’ve got in there is new. None of this started happening until I installed my new carburetor though. After I installed the carburetor, I also kind of felt like there was a lot of throttle, but very little power. It would get really loud, but they wouldn’t be very much power to it. I’m not really sure what the problem is so I’m considering every single option at this point. I also feel that it would be beneficial to let you guys know all of my circumstances

Old 10-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #2

"None of this started happening until I installed my new carburetor though."

I'd say tear down the carb and see what you can find. Sticking float maybe? Maybe needs rejetting, A/F mixture screw adjusted, needle position changed.....
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 10-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #3

when you installed the new carb, what jets and pilot settings did you use? My hawk would start by the third kick using choke and about 1/4 throttle when I start it.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesofWar01 View Post
After a while, trying to electric motor, it slows down a little and then all of a sudden I hear a buzzing noise from the battery area.
This is probably the starter solenoid flickering due to low battery. Jump it and that will go away, the starter will turn again.

Getting a new carb has more consequences than is generally realized. For some reason, people think it will fix the bike or make it faster. The break off bolts can be dealt with, and you are into the jets, no problem.

If you get a carburetor that matches the intake and airbox connection sizes, at least you only have to deal with adapting throttle and choke connections.

But then there is rejetting too. At least with the carb it came with, you know how the engine was behaving, and can rejet accordingly. With a new carb, you will have to start all over!! So you have to install it with "best guess" on jetting, then ride it around and determine how you will need to rejet. Then you have to take it off yet again. By then you are an expert in remove/install lol!

Old 10-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #5

I appreciate all the help guys. You won’t believe what the problem was. I took a closer look at the starter solenoid and practically kicked myself. I don’t know how I missed this, but the wires were on wrong. The negative was in the positive and vice versa. No idea how she was running this whole time. Although I did have to push start her later last night, the electric start worked all day. Also, one of the wires was loose. I took off all the plastics and the fuel tank and just looked through all the wiring. I’ve got a better charger/maintainer so I’ll plug it in asap and see if I can’t get the battery charged. That said, ever since I replaced the card there’s been much less power. The throttle gets loud but then it’s just slow. Considerably slower. With my broken carb I was getting about 14.45 m/s as my max acceleration, now I’m getting about 9. It’s a pz30. Same model carb as it came with. Any advice?
I feel like it’s got ti do with the air fuel ratio but I don’t know which screw changes that.