Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

Brozz 250 clicking taking off in first gear

Is it normal for these bikes to make a clicking sound when taking off in first gear, every time that you take off? This one is a brand new 2022 Brozz Recon.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #2

The chain may be rubbing on the chain guard, or the chain is extremely loose most likely.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 09-27-2022, 04:45 PM   #3

I tightened the chain and it still makes the sound, it kind of sounds like something is slipping . The sound comes from down by the front sprocket.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

Have you pulled off the front sprocket cover off to see if there is something in there? Check that the sprocket bolts are tight as well. Have you lubed up the chain? Also check the chain alignment. That clicking might be a misalign chain rubbing the side of the sprocket.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-27-2022, 06:10 PM   #5

I took the sprocket cover off and the bolts were tight. The chain looks straight as far as I can tell.

The sound only lasts for a second as I'm releasing the clutch, so to me it doesn't sound like something rubbing. Could have something to do with the clutch?

Old 09-27-2022, 06:55 PM   #6

You say your bike is brand new, have you changed out the shipping oil? When you changed did you use a real motorcycle oil for wet clutch applications?

What I would do is dump the oil that is in there and replace it, no matter what it is, with some real motorcycle wet clutch oil, adjust the clutch at the lever and at the motor.

Get off the bike and get the rear wheel off the ground on a center stand or track jack.

Start the bike and put it in gear letting it run free in first gear under power and listen for what is really happening. The sound is probably not coming from where you suspect while on the bike wearing your helmet.

I don't know what you guys riding style is but I spend a split second in first gear, with no coasting or slow playing around with the clutch. The clutch is used for a micro second during the shift and I am not slowly releasing it listening to what is happening. I am in second gear within 30 feet, before any sound could really be obvious.

If the sound is only in first gear at take off how much clattering could there really be?

Now you are sitting on the bike, in first gear and alert, listening intensely for any sound and where it is coming from and trying to ignore the exhaust and motor and every vibration and rattle specific to every china bike made and you probably have your helmet on and masking the noise. Doing this while taking off in 1st gear over and over. That is not a natural situation or good test of the situation at hand.

And if all else fails, adjust your valves! Adjusting the valves cures everything! (Just kidding on that one)

Old 09-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #7

Yea I'm wondering that too, if maybe you're just holding in the friction zone for too long. Mine has a pretty noticeable gear chattering going from 1st to 2nd if I'm not revving high enough, I noticed it a LOT when I was just starting out around my neighborhood and staying mostly in those two gears with many stop signs. It's not something that has happened on the few other bikes I've been on, so my hunch is that it's a China bike thing.

You say it's from taking off from a stop, how high are you revving it? I found doing my gear changes around 6k seems to be the smoothest, and it took me awhile to figure out that these engines like to sing. Just my thoughts, it might not have anything to do with what's going on.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #8

I just changed the oil from what came in it to this:

Motul 104083 5100 15W-50 Four-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Motor Oil 4L MA2 Street Off-road V-Twin

It still does that slightly, but nowhere near what it was doing.
It also runs a lot smoother and better over all.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT123 View Post
I just changed the oil from what came in it to this:

Motul 104083 5100 15W-50 Four-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Motor Oil 4L MA2 Street Off-road V-Twin

It still does that slightly, but nowhere near what it was doing.
It also runs a lot smoother and better over all.
I thought that might be part of the problem, because what came in your bike from the factory was absolutely nothing!

It is not wet clutch motorcycle oil and it is not fit to put into an engine for any purpose except to inhibit rust during shipping.

My owners manual warned to change the oil before the motor was started for the first time.

FortNine did a test of motor oils that came to the customer from the factory and what he got out of the China bikes was some of the filthiest stuff known to man. It was full of textile fibers and unidentified bits of some substance the lab did not even try to identify.

I hope you did not do any long term damage by running the crap oil that came in it.

Run it for 100 miles, or until the odometer says 130 (it is in kilometers) and change it again. Dump it into a pan and look at the crap that comes out after that short run. Remember that being a wet clutch system there will always be some bits floating around in there, and we have no filter. That is why we have to change oil every few hundred miles.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:15 AM   #10

I think that the oil that came in the Bashan Brozz, must have been regular motor oil of some kind, because it was clear. So clear, that I wondered if it should be that clear. So I came to the conclusion that they probably put the right kind of oil in it.
The oil the came in the Brozz didn't look anything like the black stuff that I've seen come out other china bikes like the hawk, and the others like it.

Now that I've ridden it more, I think that maybe it's just the difference between high quality motor oil compared to lower quality motor oil. It does run better, but still makes that noise, just not so much. I think the quality of the clutch's in these china bikes isn't the greatest to begin with.

Last edited by JT123; 09-29-2022 at 01:37 PM.