Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 11:43 PM   #1

I took the plunge - Orion RXB250L

I've read both good and bad things about Orion. I understand both perspectives.

I made the plunge because I wanted something dual sport that leaned towards the dirt side. I valued light weight, a good engine/powertrain, and a reasonable suspension design. My favorite former bike was probably an XR250 that I owned in the early 2000s so that influenced my preferences.

Anyway.... I signed up with my $$$ and I'm on the hook...good or bad for the RXB. I'll happily give my insights as I own and ride my new Chonda.

I thank everyone here for their input. I think this is a great resource for people shopping for a bike. I think China bikes are ultimately going to overcome the Japanese bikes in the next decade and I think the dealership model is going to change. Once I'm riding I'll continue to share here because I think you guys are awesome.

Ride on!

Old 08-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #2

I think you made a great choice. I really love my Titan DLX (similar to the old RXB 230) and the new RXB with 6 speed can only be better

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 08-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #3

The bike itself is pretty boss, it's just that the seller you have to buy it from is a little sketchy.

I've been having a ton of fun with mine. I have a selection of 3D printable parts for it if you're of that persuasion as well, including: An air filer adapter a foam pod filter (without deleting the stock airbox), replacement seat pan bumpers, field replacement brake and clutch levers (!), mounts to affix a platform to the rear luggage rack, and soon enough I'll have a file for replacement rear brake line clips. I think I'll probably design a chain guard for it, too, which it really needs. Most of them are on this forum if you search.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #4

It looks awesome! Where can you buy it? I mean besides orionpowersports

They show "competition use only". Does this mean MCO "dirtbike" ??

Old 08-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #5

The bikes themselves are made by Nicot. Orion private labels them, so you'll never find another "Orion" bike from another importer/seller but you can most likely find bikes that are mechanically the same or very, very similar.

The MCO on my 2021 Orion did indeed say "motorcycle."

Old 08-21-2022, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
The bike itself is pretty boss, it's just that the seller you have to buy it from is a little sketchy.

I've been having a ton of fun with mine. I have a selection of 3D printable parts for it if you're of that persuasion as well, including: An air filer adapter a foam pod filter (without deleting the stock airbox), replacement seat pan bumpers, field replacement brake and clutch levers (!), mounts to affix a platform to the rear luggage rack, and soon enough I'll have a file for replacement rear brake line clips. I think I'll probably design a chain guard for it, too, which it really needs. Most of them are on this forum if you search.
Wow... you have been busy! I don't have a 3D printer but I used to own and operate a CNC milling machine. I used it primarily to cut aluminum protype parts for my business. I've looked the 3D printers but to be honest, I've not found a good enough use case for where I'd use it. But my mind can be changed!

Old 08-21-2022, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post

I've heard that and it is always a concern buying a big-ticket item on the internet. The new EFI was an attraction but anything first generation can end bad too so I'm crossing my fingers on that one. Joe Henner offering upgrades and support was an attraction also.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
It looks awesome! Where can you buy it? I mean besides orionpowersports

I don't have it yet so I can only report what I've heard 2nd hand.

Washington state is pretty easy in terms of plating off-road vehicles so I'm pretty lucky there.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

I have a feeling that the EPA is cracking down bit by bit, thanks to the original Hawk 250, which were widely plated and registered, but never had EPA/DOT certification as an 'On highway motorcycle'. There were always certified as 'Off-road dirtbike' on the EPA offroad list. I am guessing that is why they came out with the Hawk DLX which had the EPA/DOT certification for the street.

I bet these are sold with 'dirtbike' on the MCO, but couldn't hurt to find out for sure before dismissing them unnecessarily if the MCO does state 'motorcycle'. Here in AZ, I would have no issue plating one no matter what it stated, but even here a while back when Chinese dual-sports were getting more and more popular, they made me take my bike in to register and plate it back in 2015 (TMEC 200 which was 49 EPA/DOT certified). The local MVD office wanted to see it, even though others here on Chinariders were reported getting Hawk 250s registered sight unseen in other parts of Arizona.

Hopefully you will get good news if that is the bike you are after.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard