Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Rally Fever

I just had to drive to Arizona and back to make some repairs to my snowbird home in AZ. It was damaged in high winds during Monsoons.

On the way down it was bike week in Sturgis, and I probably saw 1,000 or better motorcycles, mostly cruisers although I bypassed Sturgis. In Wyoming I twice saw a group of 4 cruisers in 2 different groups that had no care for their or other drivers' safety and thought they owned the road.

The first group were spread out in both lanes on I-90 and refused to get out of anybody's way even though they were going well under the speed limit. They finally got out of the passing lane when a guy pulled up to within 5 feet of them, and both he and I passed them. As soon as we got around them, they spread out across the highway again.

The second group was on the 2 lane between Casper and Rawlins. Both myself and an RV were working at passing a slow moving semi. Just as the RV pulled out to pass, this group of bikes going at least 100 appeared out of nowhere. The leader almost had to put it down as he almost rear ended the RV. I was passed on the left by the leader and the right by the second bike, and I was still in the right lane.

Later I was between Baggs, WY and Craig, CO. There were numerous signs saying motorcycle riding on this highway was extremely dangerous, and riders should go by another route. As I came to the construction zone, I noticed a group of 10 cruisers at the front of the procession. As the pilot car took off with them in tow, I thought that it might get interesting. A mile later, we were in washboard interspersed with mud and/or deep sand. When the leader started up a hill, he slid sideways and stopped, causing the next 2 bikes to go down. It took 24 minutes to go 3 miles.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #2

It's not entirely the Harley guy's fault.

They have to ride in groups so they can help each other when they break down.

They dont really have enough power or reliability to maintain the speed limit for more than a few minutes nor do they dont have brakes that can slow them down afterwards.

And they're spread out so they dont have to listen to the noise they make or get hit by parts falling off.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 08-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

That is true of vintage Harleys. Other than some electric gremlins, I think more recently Harleys are pretty reliable, starting with the EVOs.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
That is true of vintage Harleys. Other than some electric gremlins, I think more recently Harleys are pretty reliable, starting with the EVOs.
I've pulled over two times to help broke harley's on my beat up 82 Suzuki and they both acted like I wasn't good enough to help them.

The one guy was on a really new bike and we were maybe 1/4 mile from my house. I asked him if he wanted some help or wait at my house, and he said something like it was an electrical problem AGAIN and he would rather wait for the trailer to come get him. I suppose maybe I'd be pissy to if I spent a $20,000+ on a machine that kept breaking.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 08-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #5

Not sure what's going on with all the drivers these days, I live up in Southwest Montana and with all of the touring in our area, it seems all think they own the road and are entitled to ride and drive wherever they want. NO ONE moves out of the passing lane on the interstate anymore, motorcycles or cars. We were on a two lane road last week and and met a couple of groups of bikes and the ones that were riding closest to the center line had their handle bars over the center line, I had to move over in fear of wiping them out. One word! ENTITLEMENT!!

Old 08-23-2021, 12:45 AM   #6

Love these Harley hater posts. Especially from China Riders.
I sold my 1974 HD Ironhead chopper to my brother in law. It's still alive today. Original clutch, tranny, primary, cylinders, cases, and valves. I did have to put a set of pistons in it because I let an intake o-ring go bad. Not the bikes fault. Yes....it's one of those pesky AMF bikes. Runs like a champ to this day.
I'd have that bike back in a heartbeat.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #7

By the way, they weren't all riding Harleys. A couple were Indians and at least 1 was a Honda.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Love these Harley hater posts. Especially from China Riders......
It's not the bikes, it's the inconsiderate asshats that ride them.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
By the way, they weren't all riding Harleys. A couple were Indians and at least 1 was a Honda.
They were the ones who go get help for the others.
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 08-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #10

In the early 70s I inherited a chopped HD with those hilarious extended forks. Unbelievable terrible handling, slow, oil dripping lawnmower of a bike. I voted to never own another one and I haven't. A work friend bought a new HD soft tail in 2005 where his tear brake caliper fell off on the freeway on his first long ride. He survived a locked rear wheel at highway speed. After that the bike was in the shop more than in his garage mostly due to EFI electrical issues. Don't know if he still owns it. On the other hand I met HD riders on my Alaska trips who had no reliability issues, even towing heavy trailers.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #11

Not a fan of riding in group, i like to ride alone.
The issue with groups is that groups tends to get the worst of everyone... Is not something unique to the US...

Cruisers folks just love to make such formations that makes very annoying to pass them...

Speed lovers if they have to slow down because there is way too much transitm will just over rev their 1200cc engines to make everyone deaf..

Same with Adventures,etc...

Old 08-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #12

As someone who, years ago, was the lead dog in many group rides, (between four and 20 bikes. Usually six to eight), it was always scary having someone in the group who had little riding experience. To assist the group, I always had a wingman I trusted, who usually rode what we jokingly called "Safety Monitor"...who rode caboose but also floated.

It was my job to survey the group before departure and ride the group to the lowest common denominator. The last thing I ever wanted to do was ride the group above the talent level of the least experienced rider. It was my wingman's job to survey the group in real time and let me know how it was going. We always kept these communications discreet, as to not ruin the fun of the rest of the group by pointing out a bike or two we should keep an eye on. Needless to say, I rode in my mirrors most of the time, watching and counting headlights.

Truthfully, I don't like group rides. It turned a nice day out on the bike into a job. I vastly prefer riding with Mrs. 2LZ, or trusted friends.....but sometimes a guy is just elected.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #13

I've done allot of group rides on atvs, and a few on street bikes. My experience is it's usually more fun if you ride with people with the same riding style and similar types of machines.
2009 Q-link Legacy 250