Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #1

Xingyue 400 resurrection

So after putting 20,000km on my Xingyue, XY a lot of them on the Trans European Trail. The motor on a normal commute to work blew a woodruff key as I gently pulled away from a traffic light.

Easy fix but it appears from the horrible grinding sounds coming from inside the motor when hand turning is that the woodruff key was only the symptom so I have to consider that this engine may be toast. I've yet to get around to splitting the motor and seeing what horrors lie within

So rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, as I have a perfectly good rolling chassis would a Zongshen NC450 motor fit and where I could purchase a complete engine and ship it to Europe.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:50 AM   #2

It's a different design, the XY is an air cooled motor, correct? You could make the NC motor fit with a welder and a grinder, but it probably wouldn't be a bolt-in swap. Aliexpress sells the motors if I remember correctly, but you'd also need to add a complete cooling system. A better bet would be to find and install a Honda XR400 motor, I believe the bottom ends were identical.

If it's the same XY400 motor that was sold in the US, I'm amazed you got 20k km out of it, here they were known to be junk. Depending on what country you're in, you might be able to get the 400cc Mash motor to bolt in, too.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #3

It's the liquid cooled trail bike the engine is terrible but I reckon that zongshen motor should fit. What's the mash motor forgive the ignorance.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #4

Depends on what country you're in. Mash is a French company that has some broader distribution in Europe, but mostly France. Throw up some pics, I guess? We can help more from there.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:16 PM   #5

Its a 400cc liquid-cooled, and I am really hoping that the Zongshen engine will mate into that chassis fairly easily.

I have heard a rumour of an XT 600 engine but I would prefer the new engine as it has good things said and apparently faired very well in the Paris Dakar rally its not looking like my images are attaching

https://imgur.com/a/Qvhgr5o