Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #16

Speaking of oil changes, do you guys have a site glass? I just look at mine to change it when it looks bad. I’ve had to change it once so far. I think I’m at almost 400 miles right now.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #17

Well , I just got back from town, and I picked up a can of heat resistant black spray paint, and will be gutting my cat either today, or in the morning. I may end up modding my muffler ad well.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #18

You haven't mentioned your approach but there are I think good and better ways to approach it. Some good threads around too. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut a window in per some threads that way you keep your pipe alignment. If you cut on the back not as noticeable. Just sayin...

Old 03-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #19

An oil cooler isn't really necessary for longevity of the engine, but it has some perks if you do install one. The only reason I put one on this time around was due to the higher compression, increased timing, head porting, and cam combining to make my engine run hotter. The oil cooler is there to combat that added heat.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #20

I de catted it, but haven't touched the muffler. I took it for a short ride, and it gets up to speed quicker, and is just a little louder. I can't make up my mind on whether to cut the end of the muffler, or not.. I may just end up buying a muffler, and keeping the stock on to get it inspected on.http://

Old 03-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #21

I think that my carb is a hair lean now. I noticed yesterday when I took it for a ride after gutting the cat that ,the first time I open it up it may have lagged for a split second, but was so subtle that I couldn't really tell, and then it seemed to run fine. Today I cold started it, and after I took it off choke, I gave it a quick, sudden rev, and it died. I currently have a 110 main, and stock pilot, and a shim so thin that it is probably insignificant (.016") under the needle clip. I have the 115, and 120 main jets, but no pilots , and will be shimming the needle more. My questions are , Am I now just wasting time on the stock carb?, And if I do order an aftermarket carb what should I get ? I have this jet kit already. https://www.amazon.com/20Pcs-Jets-ki.../dp/B08K7B4FFP.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #22

Curious, what style of pilot jet is in the stock carburetor? Keihin or cold start type? You are only wasting your time with the stock carburetor if you want something else. It is perfectly capable of running fine with your setup. I would add a shim (two small washers size of jet needle) and go to 115 main and adjust the mixture screw.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Curious, what style of pilot jet is in the stock carburetor? Keihin or cold start type? You are only wasting your time with the stock carburetor if you want something else. It is perfectly capable of running fine with your setup. I would add a shim (two small washers size of jet needle) and go to 115 main and adjust the mixture screw.
The stock carb is one of those PZ30 type that have a short pilot jet, that is very hard to find. I knew from what others on this forum had told me that the pilot jets from my kit wouldn't work with my carb, but the main jets would. I figured if I did go with an aftermarket carb ,it would be nice to get one that I could use both the mains, and pilots from my kit in.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #24

Curious what size is the pilot in it? 40? That is the issue with that cold start pilot, I think link on e bay. For around $10 and depending on shipping? Another PZ30 off Amazon $20.00 and quick return and uses Keihin style jets? But if I think new carburetor, then I might start thinking PZ30B that uses Keihin style jets to maximize my money investment.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Curious what size is the pilot in it? 40? That is the issue with that cold start pilot, I think link on e bay. For around $10 and depending on shipping? Another PZ30 off Amazon $20.00 and quick return and uses Keihin style jets? But if I think new carburetor, then I might start thinking PZ30B that uses Keihin style jets to maximize my money investment.
I will let you know the size of the stock pilot in a little while. I plan on tinkering on it after I have lunch.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #26

A new carburetor is not always the answer either, especially with these china cloned carburetors. I have bought my share that would not work and became a waste of money. I own two PZ30B one that works and the other not. I believe it is good to have the stock carburetor in reserve should you need it one day, hence, why I like to get the stock carburetor working well and if it works well, then it is a treasure I can always fall back on if need.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #27

Another benefit to add for most aftermarket carb options is an adjustable needle instead of using washers to shim up the stock needle.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #28

The stock pilot is a 34...I put a 115 main, and a thin washer in addition to the real thin shim I already had under the needle clip. I experimented, and cut down the 38 pilot jet from the jet kit I bought from Amazon, and used it. I really didn't know were to set the idle mix screw with using the 38 pilot, so I set it at 2 turns, and now it idles a little lopey, and I can't get it to turn on the bike like I could when it was out further with the other jet. It does not die out, and it definitely pulls harder. It even takes off from a dead stop easier.. I will try to tune a better idle into it by taking the carb loose, and turning the mix a little at a time.. http://url=https://ibb.co/2Ksk5BN][/url. The picture shows the stock pilot, the cut down one, and an intact one from the kit

Old 03-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #29

Now that is a novel approach! Cutting down the jet, Ha,ha, but may be as good as any approach. 34 pilot that would be real lean, good luck with the mixture. You can buy those short jets in like 5 at a time specifying the pilot size you want range.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #30

Here is the link for those interested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3225...archweb201603_