Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #1

Just bought a Taotao ata125f1! Need help with a few questions!

Greetings all! Just purchased this for 1008$: https://www.wholesaleatv.com/collect...f1-utility-atv

It says 125cc but i think it's actually 107cc. When buying parts, any idea what motor i need parts for? I would like to order a new carb, filter, and manifold if needed asap so i can install it when the atv arrives. I would also like an exhaust. Anyone know how the stock gearing is on these? Are there good shock upgrades? Is there anything I need to do immediately that dramatically improves these atvs? I know about changing the oil and checking over everything. Thank you in advance!

Old 05-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

Odds are, you have a GY6. Look for a stamped number like 139QMB.

Here's a site that tells you how to read the code.

https://ncystore.com/blog/gy6-engine-code

I'm waiting on my 1st ATV.. I ordered the Tao Bull 200. Based on what I've read online, below is what I've found.

For shocks, it seems most go with RFY shocks. You can either measure what came on the ATV or try looking up the shock length at partskit.com.

As for changing oil, do it before your 1st start. My plan is to use 10W40 conventional. I'll then run it through 3 heat cycles to change it again. Basically, I want to get the shipping oil out. It's also a good idea to get a magnetic drain plug. After that 2nd change, my plan is to change the oil one more time then follow the oil change guidelines in the manual.

Make sure your exhaust bolts are tight. Make sure all the bolts are tight and use some blue loctite. If I had torque specs, I'd use them, but it seems the manuals that come on these are really skimpy and sometimes in Chinglish. If you're going to actually take a torque wrench, you might want to use the guide for Chinese scooter. It seems torque values aren't determined by where a bolt is used, but it's based on size of the bolt.

https://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/manuals.html

Good luck and let us know how things go... I'm as interested in what to do as you are, since this is a whole new learning experience for me.

Oh.. One last thing.. I plan on changing out the spark plug to an NGK. I'll do that with the 2nd oil change. I think the plug should be a CR7HSA.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
Odds are, you have a GY6. Look for a stamped number like 139QMB.

Here's a site that tells you how to read the code.

https://ncystore.com/blog/gy6-engine-code

I'm waiting on my 1st ATV.. I ordered the Tao Bull 200. Based on what I've read online, below is what I've found.

For shocks, it seems most go with RFY shocks. You can either measure what came on the ATV or try looking up the shock length at partskit.com.

As for changing oil, do it before your 1st start. My plan is to use 10W40 conventional. I'll then run it through 3 heat cycles to change it again. Basically, I want to get the shipping oil out. It's also a good idea to get a magnetic drain plug. After that 2nd change, my plan is to change the oil one more time then follow the oil change guidelines in the manual.

Make sure your exhaust bolts are tight. Make sure all the bolts are tight and use some blue loctite. If I had torque specs, I'd use them, but it seems the manuals that come on these are really skimpy and sometimes in Chinglish. If you're going to actually take a torque wrench, you might want to use the guide for Chinese scooter. It seems torque values aren't determined by where a bolt is used, but it's based on size of the bolt.

https://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/manuals.html

Good luck and let us know how things go... I'm as interested in what to do as you are, since this is a whole new learning experience for me.

Oh.. One last thing.. I plan on changing out the spark plug to an NGK. I'll do that with the 2nd oil change. I think the plug should be a CR7HSA.

Thank you for responding! Any thoughts on the best oil to run after draining the 10w-40? I guess i will have to wait for it to arrive and do some measuring to the intake and exhaust side to start seeing what i can and can't fit on this thing. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive! When is your bull scheduled to arrive? I really wanted the Rhino but the price was a little steep for now.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbisnice View Post
Thank you for responding! Any thoughts on the best oil to run after draining the 10w-40? I guess i will have to wait for it to arrive and do some measuring to the intake and exhaust side to start seeing what i can and can't fit on this thing. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive! When is your bull scheduled to arrive? I really wanted the Rhino but the price was a little steep for now.
No idea on brand of oil. To be honest, I use whatever is the cheapest on the shelf that meets spec. This usually means Walmart brand. I've found that brand doesn't seem to make a difference. For example, my Camry has 305K miles on it and it's been fed mostly Walmart oil. Some times, the brands are mixed because it's what's in my garage. The only vehicle I've owned that got the OEM brand of oil was my BMW. That was because I couldn't find anything that met the stupid European spec it called for locally. I was going to change it over to whatever Toyota was going call for in their new Supra (same engine), but a deer busted up my car.. so now I'm left wondering what to replace it with..

The Bull order is in limbo. It was done as a pre-order back on 5/6 and they still don't have it in stock. They've got my money, but I have no ATV. They've been telling me they're expecting stock by the end of this month. I've got my fingers crossed that it happens soon.

I've been googling Tao shipments to the US and I found 2 that happened last week. One shipment was listed as personal transportation and the other helmets. Only problem I saw was that the bill and lading stated both shipments for Tao of Canada.

I really like the Rhino too but I actually bought this ATV for my son. Funny thing is that he can't ride a bike and is so scared of falling, he won't even try. It drive me crazy!! Still I bought it because I need to get him out of the house.

I had taken him over to a friend's place who happened to have a bunch of dirt bikes and ATVs. He got to ride on a 90 Kawasaki ATV and a 125 Yamaha Grizzle and got hooked. Me being cheap wasn't about to spend that kind of cash on a kid that really loves to play video games more than anything else, so I figured I'd get him a Chinese ATV.

The plus to this is that I had him agree that he would learn/do all the maintenance on it. Which seems like is going to be a bear on these machines... But this will allow me to teach him about engines, suspensions, etc in general, and for me to get a better understanding on these small engines. This is not going to be easy on him since he's just under 10yo. I'm getting it for him as his 10th birthday present.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Looking at the picture ,it is not a gy6 but just a generic Honda crf clone .Gy6 engines have a belt drive system ,commonly used on scooters and some ATV’s .
Why would you think it’s a 110 ?those engines can be had in many displacements from 50cc all the way up to 190 cc or so ,but there are lots and lots of 125 cc out there .Anyway ,when you get it ,you can google the number on the engine pad beside where the shifter is or should be if it doesn’t have one ,or you can also look at the cylinder fins where often the displacement is cast into them ,although they are sometimes purposely cast incorrectly to get around displacement limitations in certain countries .

Old 05-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
No idea on brand of oil. To be honest, I use whatever is the cheapest on the shelf that meets spec. This usually means Walmart brand. I've found that brand doesn't seem to make a difference. For example, my Camry has 305K miles on it and it's been fed mostly Walmart oil. Some times, the brands are mixed because it's what's in my garage. The only vehicle I've owned that got the OEM brand of oil was my BMW. That was because I couldn't find anything that met the stupid European spec it called for locally. I was going to change it over to whatever Toyota was going call for in their new Supra (same engine), but a deer busted up my car.. so now I'm left wondering what to replace it with..

The Bull order is in limbo. It was done as a pre-order back on 5/6 and they still don't have it in stock. They've got my money, but I have no ATV. They've been telling me they're expecting stock by the end of this month. I've got my fingers crossed that it happens soon.

I've been googling Tao shipments to the US and I found 2 that happened last week. One shipment was listed as personal transportation and the other helmets. Only problem I saw was that the bill and lading stated both shipments for Tao of Canada.

I really like the Rhino too but I actually bought this ATV for my son. Funny thing is that he can't ride a bike and is so scared of falling, he won't even try. It drive me crazy!! Still I bought it because I need to get him out of the house.

I had taken him over to a friend's place who happened to have a bunch of dirt bikes and ATVs. He got to ride on a 90 Kawasaki ATV and a 125 Yamaha Grizzle and got hooked. Me being cheap wasn't about to spend that kind of cash on a kid that really loves to play video games more than anything else, so I figured I'd get him a Chinese ATV.

The plus to this is that I had him agree that he would learn/do all the maintenance on it. Which seems like is going to be a bear on these machines... But this will allow me to teach him about engines, suspensions, etc in general, and for me to get a better understanding on these small engines. This is not going to be easy on him since he's just under 10yo. I'm getting it for him as his 10th birthday present.
I am sure he will love it. Why not a second one for yourself?

This is my first ever atv purchase. Do they come with MCO's and paperwork to be registered like the bikes do?

Old 05-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
I am sure he will love it. Why not a second one for yourself?

This is my first ever atv purchase. Do they come with MCO's and paperwork to be registered like the bikes do?

If he really gets to liking it, I'll get one too.. for now I'll just watch him.

As for MCO, you have to request it from the dealer once the ATV arrives. Then take that, the bill of sale, and a wade of cash to pay the tax to get it registered and titled.. that in most states.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #8

Well, I canceled the order. Wholesaleatv.com has the absolute worst service ever. They couldn't give me a single reason to keep my order. They sent me an email saying my item will ship in 3 days to 6 weeks. And that shipping time takes 2 days to 2 weeks. They can't give me a better estimate then 5 days to 8 weeks. Also, they don't respond to emails and are not 'accepting' phone calls at this time. You want me to spend over 1000$ but you can't take 2 minutes out of your day to answer 2 questions? Not the type of company I wanna deal with.

There seems to be a million of these companies. Are any of them worth a damn? Any that answer the phone?

Old 05-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Well, I canceled the order. Wholesaleatv.com has the absolute worst service ever. They couldn't give me a single reason to keep my order. They sent me an email saying my item will ship in 3 days to 6 weeks. And that shipping time takes 2 days to 2 weeks. They can't give me a better estimate then 5 days to 8 weeks. Also, they don't respond to emails and are not 'accepting' phone calls at this time. You want me to spend over 1000$ but you can't take 2 minutes out of your day to answer 2 questions? Not the type of company I wanna deal with.

There seems to be a million of these companies. Are any of them worth a damn? Any that answer the phone?
Most of them have horrible customer service and are now using covid-19 as a excuse. Even though their reviews were horrible before the pandemic started. At this point I think collecting cancelation fees is part of their business model. I have had two orders now with two companies where I was emailed that my unit had shipped only to be informed a week later that they were out of stock. Both times I confirmed stock before placing my order. The smaller volume showroom dealers seem to be a little better, but they charge more. There seems to be a correlation with markup and customer service.

The higher volume dealers don't care. They can't even keep these things in stock so if one customer is unhappy there is another one waiting to take their spot despite the 1 star reviews. I'm about done with this industry. I'm going to upgrade my order to get something shipped but if I run into another hurdle I give up. I will just save up for a Japanese model.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

i purchased a tao raptor200 and i love it just got done adding a horn,lightbar and signals.

but for parts i go to partskit.com and for battery i went to impactbattery.com. but since it is a tao then this would be a place to go

Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #11

I bought my Bull 200 from Manny at TxPowerSports,ordered it on Saturday and had it by the following Thursday.This was last year in August before we knew anything about Covid-19.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
i purchased a tao raptor200 and i love it just got done adding a horn,lightbar and signals.

but for parts i go to partskit.com and for battery i went to impactbattery.com. but since it is a tao then this would be a place to go

I wish I had bought the Raptor instead of the Bull,nothing wrong with the Bull,just like the added features of the Raptor.The Raptor was actually cheaper than the Bull at time of purchase for me.