Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

Making my RXB150 "naked"

I had to take the carb off to make some adjustments and the front plastic was just in the way. Especially getting to the carb bolt on the left side. I could only get about a sixteenth of a arc at a time with the socket wrench. The placement of the ignition coil was also in the way on the exhaust side.

I am a big fan of "less is more", so I decided to make some changes.

* removed the front plastic...why is a fake radiator shroud so popular? I'll save these un-used for if we ever sell this bike.
* loosened the coil and rotated it upward toward the gas tank for better access to the carb bolt
* took the horn off of the location by the oil cooler....it rubbed on the front fender...will find a new location for it
* This weekend I will remove the "bar/bracket" that the front plastic mounts to, that also holds the oil cooler, and remount the oil cooler with some simple aluminum bar stock.
* used quite a few zip-ties to clean up the messy wiring placement...in particular the big loop of the main harness and (I think) speedo sensor cable on the left side in front of the gas tank and the 2 plug connectors that kept falling down and getting lodged by the fork lock.

I have attached a couple of photos of the "naked" bike. This is the way it will stay. The black tank is just begging for some fun stickers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXB150-1.jpg (88.0 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg RXB150-2.jpg (88.5 KB, 459 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 02-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #2

I tried the "naked" look on my TBR7 and it was just too naked in that it literally appeared as if the front plastics were missing.

I'm tempted to plasti dip everything black matte, however I fear if I don't like it and peel the plasti dip that it will peel off the original "electric blue" paint on the plastic with it.

TBRs have very cheaply painted plastics

Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #3

Hold on Goob. We can't have you posting those kind of pictures here. Might be some young kids on here.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

Next up....???

Started thinking about some extra fuel for when I trail ride. Something that I could take on and off. I know I could just put some bottles in a backpack, but what fun would that be?

A simple idea is a 1 liter bottle mounted on the back side of the handlebars. But, that is only .26 gallons. I may be able to fit 2 if I am creative, so .52 gallons.

Next was an Acerbis bar tank at .6 gallons, but I have seen that the caps pop off of these easily and they are expensive.

Next, which is likely the case, but requires more work, is a 1 gallon Rotopax. To do this I would abandon the stock headlight and replace with one mounted sort of high, relocate the speedo/tach to the other side of the handlebars (plenty of room, easier to see), and mount a Rotopax connector between the shock down-tubes...sort of like where off-road bikes have their number plates.

With the Rotopax set-up I could take it off for riding in the "motocross" parks, and put it on for leisurely trail riding in the mountains. And, it doubles my fuel capacity.

I'll think about it for a while. Still got to get it out to a riding park...and have some fun.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 02-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #5

A few things I learned today...

OK, I am still working on the clean-up. Here are a few things I did and learned today:

1) The bracket with the "positioning" pins at the bottom of the headlight housing had been mounted upside down, so the pins didn't fit into the holes in the top of the fender. Flopped it around, so now the bottom of the housing is secure. Got all of the wire under the headlight under control with wire ties.

2) The starter wire (hot) is run right around the front of the skid plate and touches the relatively sharp edge of the skid plate. Of course there is a break in the plastic tube shroud right there, so the red insulation of the wire is exposed. I found this later in the day and will do something to protect the wire tomorrow.

3) There is a loose green wire with a "pin" on it that looks like it should go into one of the Multi-Prong Connectors (MPC's) near it. Being green I figure it is a ground. Everything seems to work OK, so I taped it off. May try to trace it out tomorrow.

4) I was able to remount my horn on the bottom-front of the gas tank where I removed the plastic and there was a built-in thread.

5) Rather than make a new bracket for the oil cooler I just removed the bracket and cut the extension's off that went to the lower plastics mounts.

6) It is really slick how the gas tank is just connected by a single centered thru bolt that also acts as the "latch" for the front of the seat. So easy to remove the tank...pinch off the supply line with vice grips, remove one bolt, and its off.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 02-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
Started thinking about some extra fuel for when I trail ride. Something that I could take on and off. I know I could just put some bottles in a backpack, but what fun would that be?
I do know there are some external tanks I have seen for the Honda DAX aka CT-70 replicas. The Skyteam branded bikes have something like 1.5 gallons stock, so don't really need an external tank, but the Lifan branded (maybe the Icebear, too) replicas have something like 0.5 gallons. Some people bought some external tanks that could be fitted to their bikes. Let me ask on the DAX/CT-70 Replica group what some of those guys are using.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #7

Another idea I had....

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I do know there are some external tanks I have seen for the Honda DAX aka CT-70 replicas. The Skyteam branded bikes have something like 1.5 gallons stock, so don't really need an external tank, but the Lifan branded (maybe the Icebear, too) replicas have something like 0.5 gallons. Some people bought some external tanks that could be fitted to their bikes. Let me ask on the DAX/CT-70 Replica group what some of those guys are using.
Thanks Culcune.

Another idea (or two) I had was getting Molle fuel pouches, or (for more $) Endurastan or Nelson Rigg ones, for 1 liter bottles.

I could mount at least 1 liter horizontally on the inside of the handlebars. Or, since I stripped off the plastic, I may be able to mount two to the front of the gas tank....one on each side vertically. All three would get me 3 liters...or about 0.80 gallons.

There is a pretty big space there and I think they may not interfere when turning. I could use the two threaded mounting points that are there from the plastics mount to put a couple of loops for connection with some Velcro ties.

The good thing about this approach is that they would be easily removable when not trail riding. Won't need extra storage when at the bike park.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

What about filling a sea foam can with extra gas ,and mounting it inside a piece of pvc pipe ,just like a tool tube ?