Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #1

TT250 Commuter Update

Hello,

I just wanted to post some updated photos of my commuter.

I changed out the added taillight below the license plate for one from a trailer supply company. I used the passenger side one and changed out the 1157 bulb for an LED that does the braking flash just like the one in the stock taillight.

The first two "taillights" I ordered were defective where either the brake light didn't work or the running light didn't work. This one is a Wesbar and costs $10. I had an extra LED taillight (the one I ordered for the stock taillight came in a package of 2 for $15)….so the total thing was about $18 for twice the rear visibility and brake flashing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...ar/403076.html

I added the panniers that I got for $50 on ebay. They are Coleman/Maddog that have been discontinued, so they are cheap on ebay or Amazon. Nice size and they have special fabric for heat to protect from exhaust (though I found out this is not really needed on the TT250 because the muffler just gets warm). They also have rigid inserts built in to keep things from sagging. I had to cut the side panels so these would fit right, but if I ever want to go back to stock these are only about $22 from CSC. They were sort of a pain in the ass to put back on stock, it is easier now with just one locating pin and one bolt.

I did the panniers to get my grocery load lower, as 4 bags in the crate was way to high and tippy. Now 2 up 2 down. I have zip top grocery bags that will drop right in the panniers with the pannier tops zipped open...expanding the vertical capacity.

Next up is putting on the Continental GO! tires I ordered thru Dennis Kirk. They had the best prices...equivalent to ordering from two separate vendors on Amazon. I was surprised, as I don't think of them as being an inexpensive place to buy stuff.

Happy New Year and Peace on Ya!

Goob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT250 1-2020 -1.jpg (92.1 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg TT250 1-2020 -2.jpg (92.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg TT250 1-2020 -3.jpg (91.8 KB, 316 views)

Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #2

Your mods are very well thought out; thanks for taking the time to share pics and details.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #3

Thumbs Up

I really like what you have done. Have been thinking about adding panniers to my magician. Well done and thanks for letting us get a peak.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #4

I still think you should consider 17/17 wheels. Just my opinion and obviously not necessary. My TMEC 200 ENDURO came stock with 17's with sport tires (one could specify 21/18 with knobbies), and I used it on the road strictly for commuting. Actually had 2 set up that way, one after the other. Wouldn't want it any other way as far as a dirt bike used on the street.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

Culcune-17 inch wheels

Culcune,

I searched around for 17" wheels less than the $650 that CSC sells them for and couldn't find anything. I also contacted a local Denver wheel builder thinking that may be less, considering I would be providing the hubs, but their price was $400 per wheel.

I just can't justify that kind of money, especially for something that I am not sure I will like result. Just not sure that a wider shorter front wheel will be as responsive and pothole friendly as a 21" with a 90/90 tire on it. Though your experience does make me think my worries are unfounded. Still...the money...about $1000 with tires/tubes/mount.

I am not interested in "sport" riding, just a smooth commute with the confidence in leaning over a bit more in my turns than the knobbies provide. My top speed on our 4 lane city roads (not highway) is about 50. Normally, I am on neighborhood roads between 25 and 35.

So, I decided that the Conti Go! on my current rims would give me what I need with only spending a bit over $300 ($206 tires, $40 heavy duty tubes, $60 mount & balance by a shop).

Maybe if I come in to some bucks in a few years, and my Conti's are wearing out, then I could spring for the 17's. If I do that, then I will throw the knobbies back on the stock rims in case I want to do some trail riding (not likely) and I could swap back and forth.

Goob

Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #6

diyRdie-Panniers

diyRdie,

I really like the panniers. I suppose they could be deeper, but I got a couple of zipper top nylon grocery bags, that are deeper, that drop right in each pannier.

When I shop I take 2 regular bags and the 2 zip top bags and fill them as I go. This way I don't end up with too much stuff. In the crate I can put 2 12-packs and one bag or 1 12-pack and 2 bags. Then one bag in each pannier.

Lowering the load with the panniers makes a huge difference in handling. Before I was so top heavy I could feel it pulling me over on corners.

Here's the zipper bag URL:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Big-R...53.m2749.l2649

Goob