Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #1

Down and Dirty

The TMS 200gy-5 had 200 hard break in street miles with no major malfunctions, excepting a broken muffler bracket which needed a proper American weld, and I figured it was time to see how she handled the enduro end of things. Went up to the Pawnee National Grassland (NE Colorado) where the feds have kindly set aside a 1.5 mile long draw for OHV play. Took my young'un and the 83 xr200( last year for two shocks) and play we did. On the third three to four foot high jump, 45 degree or so landing, the the Lifan threw the chain. During set up, I only torqued the rear wheel to 40lbs as stated in the OM. I thought that wasn't enough and was right. The axle slipped full forward with the landing. I rechained and limped back to the trailer where I adjusted the chain tension and torqued the nut as hard as I could with a six inch long crescent. Many jumps later I was still jumping, chain attached and all. I also had few time that the handle bars moved in the bracket. For some reason the bolts were loose. I retightened those bolts and once back home red loctited them up. All else on the enduro is as it was before the trip.
I was concerned that the 17 x 46 sprocket mix might not provide enough grunt but I couldn't find a hill that I couldn't conquer. Think I would still like to try a 15t counter sprocket. I earlier ordered a 15t front sprocket from TMS but the one they sent didn't fit the shaft and I sent it back. TMS refunded the full price plus shipping and also my return shipping costs. Anyone have a 15t front they are looking to peddle or gift?
I'm planning a trip to Moab in May and wanted to take this bike as we plan on doing some combination trail/road rides. I think it will work.