Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

R/R Question ?

from popular mechanics: train clobbers fed ex truck in utah.

question for cheezy as official "train dude" Are there automated systems (such as web enabled systems) that report whether the crossing guard gates are functional. i noticed the crossing gate is up in this clip.

Yes, drivers are supposed to look both ways , but does it happen, no, as seen by the statistics of continuing rail incursions.

"Where's my package"?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 01-26-2017 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Cant spel nutin wrot-fixed title

Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

Can't answer that, BB, I'm not involved in Signals. That said, signals are automated and should have be down long before that train arrived. Train reaches a certain point on the tracks and the train wheels and frame acts as a shunt to activate the signals. Did the snow insulate the track and prevent the signals from functioning?

A lot of finger pointing will happen with this one as everyone involved had a part in it. I haven't heard any audio, so I can't say if the engineer sounded the horn(should have). Truck driver appears to have not even looked. Also, the small pickup on the right looks like it may be a railroad truck and may have already been there because of the malfunctioning signal.

Will be interesting to hear of the outcome.

Look both ways at ALL crossings.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
..."Where's my package"?
On the (rail)road.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Can't answer that, BB, I'm not involved in Signals. That said, signals are automated and should have be down long before that train arrived. Train reaches a certain point on the tracks and the train wheels and frame acts as a shunt to activate the signals. Did the snow insulate the track and prevent the signals from functioning?

A lot of finger pointing will happen with this one as everyone involved had a part in it. I haven't heard any audio, so I can't say if the engineer sounded the horn(should have). Truck driver appears to have not even looked. Also, the small pickup on the right looks like it may be a railroad truck and may have already been there because of the malfunctioning signal.

Whats your thought on rail karts on abandoned tracks? I've been thinking about building one. The tracks I would ride have had sections cut out and barriers put up. The tracks are still there and in good condition. The R/R didn't want to maintain about a 20 mile section through a steep area of the mountains.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

news said something froze in the gaurds

Old 01-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Whats your thought on rail karts on abandoned tracks? I've been thinking about building one. The tracks I would ride have had sections cut out and barriers put up. The tracks are still there and in good condition. The R/R didn't want to maintain about a 20 mile section through a steep area of the mountains.

Looks like a blast and no real problems with it, but old jointed rail like what was in the video can have low joints, broken rail, rotten ties, wide gauge, narrow gauge, and misaligned switches. All which can cause a motorcar to derail miles from nowhere.

That said, one of our reps and I went up an abandoned Colorado SP spur line in a high rail truck with a roadmaster and went fishing. Fun day.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post

After first responders arrived video showed the arms down. This made national news tonight and they said the signal apparatus was "frozen" or caused by the conditions .
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
On the (rail)road.
HB, I only know 1 language (barely).

Old 01-26-2017, 01:14 AM   #9

Will that cart hold a 250cc

Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #10

I sure hope no ones Hawk, TT250 or Brozz was on the truck. You may have to file a damage claim.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

It appears to be a passenger train; I hope no one was hurt.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #12

There are plenty of unused rails on Galveston island. Ocassionally. I sketch up a sort of sKate board for use on the rails. I have also seen bicycle mods, like an outrigger, that allow them to ride the rails.