Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #1

Another Hawk 250 from Texas

Hi all,
Just picked myself up a new 2014 Hawk 250 from a powermax shop here in Houston. Have been reading the forums for a while and had been debating buying an old DR200 or a china DS for a while after weighing all the benefits downsides and costs finally picked up a hawk 250. I know this bike will need more attention but that gives me something to do when i drink beer rather than just sitting around. I bought the bike two days ago assembled but got what i think is a pretty good deal. $1500 with TT&L and a crappy helmet, this saves me the headache of dealing with the DMV and titling which is the main reason i bought it at the store vs ordering online. Brought it home in the back of my Explorer SportTrac (pretty intense btw) and spent the last two days basically rebuilding it and using blue loctite for peace of mind. So far it has 15 miles a ngk spark plug and 2 oil changes. i have a 17 tooth sprocket in the mail and am ordering a mikuni carb and jets with a unipod filter. Mainly hoping with enough care i can get a long life out of it. Just some quick info about myself my names Brandon i live in Houston Tx this is not my first bike started on dirt bikes and quads as a kid and teen in cali eventually got up to YZ465 2 stroke but it almost killed me too many times so went back down to a YZ250. learned to street ride on a buell blast moved up to a buell lightning x1 and had a horrible accident on a Houston freeway that totaled my Kawasaki ZR7 and put me through four surgeries and 9 months of rehab. Sold all my bikes and cars and have been wanting to ride ever since and now i can. That seems like enough rambling for now so ill post what you want pics lol.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:18 AM   #2

Welcome; you came to the right place.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad accident, but I am glad you are riding once again. I would be lost without an opportunity to enjoy some 'throttle therapy.' Riding off road is much safer than riding on the highway.

P.S. Your Hawk looks great!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2015, 02:11 AM   #3

Welcome!

How did you know I wanted to see a pic? I love the blue and black look.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

Hey fellow Texas rider. Great Choice on the bike BTW. You got a good deal for $1500. I live in Garland but got mine at Dallas power sports for $1700 TT&L and II thought that was a good deal. I wanted black but settled on red bc I was too anxious. Whatever the color tho its a fun ride. If your Mikuni carb doesn't perform well as is(like mine did) I took the advice of the very knowledgeable Weldandgrind herealoneg with everyone else and started with the 115 main and 30 slow jets and that's all it took. Runs so much better. If Houston is anything like Garland you might consider changing the rear sprocket also. I went to a 45t with the same 17t front and just made it as far as not having to remove any links. Anyway....welcome

Old 10-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #5

I would like to keep in touch with your moto adventures. I bought my GY200 in Houston back in 2010 at the same store you did. I made it street legal and have been riding it ever since. I rode it VERY hard on and off road mostly out of curiosity to see what it's limits were. I maxed its top speed out by adding a 39 tooth rear sprocket and 17 tooth countershaft. I was able to kill it finally after 5 years of severe torture. I lost 3rd gear. Piston and top end could have kept going but I did a complete rebuild anyway. You will have a lot of fun on that bike. You did good. The best rides are the ones out on county roads. Riding a dirtbike on the highway just seems like wasted miles. It's not for transportation. It's for adventure. Hope to see you out at Sam Houston National Forest. Have fun Man and nice bike!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Does anyone have ebay links for jets for the ebay 30mm mikuni carb I have a foam pod filter and removed spark arrestor. I'm lost looking at all these jets.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranbo View Post
I would like to keep in touch with your moto adventures. I bought my GY200 in Houston back in 2010 at the same store you did. I made it street legal and have been riding it ever since. I rode it VERY hard on and off road mostly out of curiosity to see what it's limits were. I maxed its top speed out by adding a 39 tooth rear sprocket and 17 tooth countershaft. I was able to kill it finally after 5 years of severe torture. I lost 3rd gear. Piston and top end could have kept going but I did a complete rebuild anyway. You will have a lot of fun on that bike. You did good. The best rides are the ones out on county roads. Riding a dirtbike on the highway just seems like wasted miles. It's not for transportation. It's for adventure. Hope to see you out at Sam Houston National Forest. Have fun Man and nice bike!
Right now I'm trying to polish up on my skills, it's been about ten years since I've road dirt and about four from my accident and street (honestly I'm surprised I hoped on and didn't stall or lurch al over the place). It would be cool after I polish up to see you at Sam Houston (after I get some gearing that can make that trip).

Old 10-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDSRIDER View Post
Does anyone have ebay links for jets for the ebay 30mm mikuni carb I have a foam pod filter and removed spark arrestor. I'm lost looking at all these jets.
If you wanna buy individual jets, here's a link where I bought mine.http://www.z1enterprises.com/ListIte...s=Mikuni+jets#
For main jets.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByC...egory=01044004 for pilot jets.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #9

Thanks and you got the ebay mikuni carb that was like 30 or 40 bucks right.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDSRIDER View Post
Thanks and you got the ebay mikuni carb that was like 30 or 40 bucks right.
No. Actually I ordered mine from Amazon. I like Amazon. Lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

They should still work fine tho.