Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #1

TMEC closeout

I spoke with Wade Liu yesterday, and he told me he wants to sell the last 7 TMEC bikes they have in stock. $1100 each plus shipping. Anyone who has read my blabberings here knows that the TMEC is a good bike. The one I bought used back in NOvember of 2012 lasted me all the way until May 2014, putting on over 10k miles on top of unknown miles (the speedo was broken when I bought it), when I bought a brand new TMEC 200 bike. I ride 16.5 miles each way, daily, year round, to work and back--33 miles a day at up to 60+ mph on several mile stretches.

A few months later, October 25th, I was run into the curb by a large Yukon, breaking my shoulder, radial head (elbow), and my rib(s). The bike sat for 4 weeks; in the meantime I bent the handlebars back into general shape, bent the shifter and the rear brake lever into shape. The bike sat for 3 weeks without starting (I had bought a T-Motorpsports gel-cell battery for my '09 TMEC which transferred right into the new bike instead of the stock battery), and started right up! I did not ride it, but started it a few times to make sure it still started, as I was planning on commuting once again to work. I have been riding it since late November.

The point is, I have had good experience with this brand of bike. The only modification I have done is ordered a 48 tooth JT rear sprocket. I never touched the stock carb (on either bike). These bikes are good quality taking the Chinese part into account.

Call Excalibur 909-591-8800. They actually answer the phone, and someone always answers the phone. You might speak with Wade the owner, or Alan, the manager. They are open 9:00 to 6:00 Pacific time, Mon thru Fri. I would add them to your short list if you are narrowed down to the Bashan or the Hawk.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #2

Is Wade Liu selling these off and dropping the TMEC line, or?? I know they used to have a standard dual sport version, and a version with more super-moto setup as far as wheels and tires.

I got to take a look at one of these about 5 years ago, and they are a good looking bike.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #3

I think Wade might consider carrying these again, but needs to get rid of some stock. TMEC are still available via the Linhai distributor somewhere out east. They call them TMEC Denalli and only come with the aggressive-looking 21"/18"knobbies, with no 17"/17" setup available. Denallis do have a few extra colors, including (super-fast) orange.

http://www.sunright.net/linhai-scooters/denali-200xt

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #4

Culcune, I seem to remember you saying that Wade might be shifting towards scooters only; am I correct in that?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Yes, Weld, that is mostly correct, but he has had some success with the TMEC. I think the Madass 50 is giving him some issues with the EPA since Sach's tried to pull a fast one by reverting to a cheaper carb, which is a big no-no with the EPA (once a bike is certified). TGB has purposely rolled out their bikes in the US slowly, initially offering the two 50cc models. They will expand to another two 50cc models (one being the delivery scooter), before offering a 300 (actually a 264cc) range leader.

I think it is a shame for the Madass if Wade cannot get that sorted out with the manufacturer and the EPA, because I liked the seating position the best on that one, and was considering buying one, with the plan to convert it to a 140cc using a LIfan crate engine.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Agreed. I think a Madass would be silly fun.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

I might be trying too hard with the 140, but a milder (and probably less costly) 125 crate engine would also do the trick...probably get me electric start, too!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

They do sell the MadAss with a 125cc semi auto option.

http://www.moto-scoot.net/sachs_madass_125.php

Looks like that one is a 4 speed manual but I have seen it advertised with the semi auto.

/

Old 09-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #9

Thanks for the link--Moto-Scoot seems to have gotten the exclusive importation of the 125 (according to them)?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Culcune, a few more TMEC questions. Have your TMEC's been the dual sport model with a 21" front wheel? Wade has a few of each. I read one owner that bought the street version with the, what, 17" front (??) tire say that he was getting rid of it because he kept sliding forward. I can see a problem on a bike desingned for a 21" front, then just swapping fpr a 3-4" smaller wheel. Unless somethin g else was changed, that would drop the whole front end 3-4" down. No wonder he felt like he was sliding forward.

Has Wade and company been good at getting you parts for your two bikes?

That rear sprocket you had to buy from England has me a little concerned. I guess TMEC had no rear sprockets with less teeth available? The mounting bolt pattern in the sprocket you refer to in another thread looks a bit strange. They are not symetrical, with uneven spacing and 6 bolt holes?

And, (I'm not sure if I already asked you this, but my cranium is overloaded with information on these Chinabikes), your bikes with the stock sprockets, what were the top speed and comfortable cruising speed they could do? That's one point the Hawk models (and Bashan too) have an advantage over the TMEC. The Hawk comes with a 15 tooth front, and one owner just bought, and installed a 17 tooth, and left the rear alone, and got good results. He was able to use the chain with no mods. Also, I can getr thise sprockets from Amazon, and probably ebay.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #11

Sprocket was no issue getting, but still a little exotic. The bikes the hub uses are listed on the JTR site where they show which bike came with the (stock for TMEC) 56, the 54, the 52, the 51 (?) the 50 and the 48. All are 125's and none are available in the US.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue put in JTR 1134 in the parts search

I have never had issues with parts. Both of my bikes were/are the 17"/17" setup and I have never felt odd or weird in the seating as compared to any other dirt bike or enduro. The seats on both of my bikes have been very comfortable and durable--no tearing, ripping, fading, degradation, etc.

What I liked about when I ordered the new bike out of the box was the comparing it mentally with an old Jetmoto 200 enduro I bought back in '06. The TMEC seemed to have much less fandangling as far as once the bike was assembled and test-fired. IN fact, while the external idle screw on my old bike must have been played with, and I had to play with it sitting at traffic lights and in the morning, the brand new bike has not been touched! Once the bike was started after assembly, I have not touched the engine or carb! Thinking back, my old Jetmoto seemed like the newer Bashans or Hawks as far as idling issues, carb adjustments, etc. I was far more inexperienced 10 years ago, but I remember being stranded by spark plugs a few times, and having other issues here and there. The TMEC seems to just go and go, and since I strictly commute on it, have not felt the need to change the carb, or other performance upgrades other than the sprocket. The front sprocket is 17.

My main complaint would have to be the lack of sprocket choice less than 48. Stock, the bike seemed like my old Jetmoto, being peaky and lots of vibrations at speed. I remember mellowing out the Jetmoto with a 44 tooth rear (never touched the counter-sprocket and have no idea what it was) but I remember being able to cruise at 55 vs. riding the jackhammer at the same speed (both speeds were indicated via a questionable speedo as all these Chinese bikes seem to have, although GPS and smartphones have proven well for many members here--what a difference 10 years made!!).

My 40 tooth was geared way too high on the '09, although I gained some powerband back with a 15 tooth front. The 48 is still on the 'wild' side as far I am concerned, but the bike keeps up with 60 to 65 mph traffic (in 55 and 50 mph zones so we are all breaking the law ) and like I mentioned before, the 'slow' guy doing 50 to 52 in a 50 zone feels might slow for me. My guess is I cruise at 62 to 65 so the bike feels peaky. I am guessing your traffic is a little more mellow--being close to the Mexican border and seeing a lot of fellow commuters (not quite big city traffic, but narrow, 2 lane roads loaded with multiple cars during the agricultural season) tends to find many drivers being aggressive down this way. I don't feel intimidated other than the impatient imbeciles traveling in the opposite direction who don't understand passing is only supposed to be done when safe and not in double yellow line zones and run me and fellow commuters off the road on the 2 lane road part of my commute. People traveling to Yuma from the direction of the border seem to not know the rules of the road for some odd reason, LOL

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

Just for the heck of it, I went to Amazon (people that live here use Amazon a LOT!) and entered the JTR 1134. One came up, but they wanted $81.03 plus a shipping fee. If I followed it through, I am almost sure, they will not ship it to Hawaii at all.

Of course, an owner could have some common hub laced up to that rear wheel, but, that kind of takes away a bunch of any savings on buying a Chinese bike.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #13

Finding a suitable hub is not as easy as one might think. Indeed, it is probably quite difficult, and would still involve some machine work. At a minimum, one would probably need custom wheel spacers, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894