Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Tailwinds are fun!

Just riding into work on the KLX this morning. Wednesdays I'm at an office that requires a 20 minute commute, half on the highway. Speed limit is 70, flow of traffic between 75 and 80. The KLX is fine at these speeds.

So I'm passing a semi, up a grade, look down at the speedo and I'm at 90 and picking up speed fast :!:
25-30 MPH tailwind. 8)

The ride home may not be as inspiring...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Drafting the semi probably helped some. I'm amazed that you could hit that speed uphill. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Strong tailwind outweighed the uphill.

The KLX will reliably run 99 MPH (indicated, 91 GPS) in a tuck on level ground with no head or tail wind.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Drafting the semi probably helped some. I'm amazed that you could hit that speed uphill. 8O
The wind blows strongly in some areas of the Pacific Northwest, WaG. Living in Idaho, I can easily believe a 25-30 mph tailwind would allow Doc to reach that speed. 8)

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 AM   #5

I'm no stranger to that. I'm sure that one of the windiest places on the planet is Lethbridge, Alberta. One guy told me that when he moved away from Lethbridge, he was able to stand up straight and find out he that was six feet tall.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm no stranger to that. I'm sure that one of the windiest places on the planet is Lethbridge, Alberta. One guy told me that when he moved away from Lethbridge, he was able to stand up straight and find out he that was six feet tall.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
:P

One of the jokes here is that if the wind stops blowing everyone falls over.

Next week I'm flying to Montana (God willing) for a little vacation. If the wind is blowing then like it is now it looks to be a very fast and very bumpy trip! 8O

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #8

My old '91 DR250s could hit near 90 mph indicated. My friend who was better on motorcycles than me would ride and I would follow him in my Capri 5.0 on the freeway near where we lived. I was surprised at the top speed of the little 250. Keep in mind this was before GPS, but between both speedometers, we were guesstimating 90 mph or so.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #9

FWIW my 1996 XR250L ran about 80 on top, a couple of times I had it to 85. So these speeds seem to be in the same ballpark.

BTW I miss those 5.0's. 8)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Especially the Capri. They were just different enough; loved the taillights.

I've often wondered what speed my XR250R is capable of. It's geared for climbing hills, but it seems to have plenty on top. I've only ever ridden it flat out on fire roads, but not for long. I don't want to hit a drainage rut at top speed. 8O

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #11

Yes, I had 3 5.0's--my first was the Capri, my second was a '93 GT, and while I owned that, bought a '85 5.0 ex-CHP car (no, there was nothing special with it, and it was quite 'utilitarian' as compared to my '86 and '93) for my wife. Loved them all, even the '85!

It amazes me that North American Chinabikes seem to really be slow across the board. Our European members report 55-60mph with their 125's, and 'ours' with 200cc and gearing and all are topping out about the same. Yes their were some faster bikes such as the Pitster Pros, but even those were never reported to be near 80 mph, and they were supposed to have 25 hp, like the Japanese bikes, let alone the fact that very few people reported having bought one, or if they did, never stayed around.

I loved my DR250s in spite of my limited riding skills off-road (no, I never went too wild with it), and since they don't make a street version, I am eagerly awaiting the CCW provided it does have the Qingqi/Suzuki engine. However, I doubt that it will perform like my (now long ex )DR on the road.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #12

IIRC, the '86 had a double hump trans crossmember that accomodated a dual exhaust, and I think it had a roller block. That was a good year.

So you're bikeless, culcune? That sucks. I'm having acronym deficiency today; what is a CCW?

I also don't understand why we can't wring more speed out of our bikes. It amazes me what guys in the UK can do with a 125.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
IIRC, the '86 had a double hump trans crossmember that accomodated a dual exhaust, and I think it had a roller block. That was a good year.

So you're bikeless, culcune? That sucks. I'm having acronym deficiency today; what is a CCW?

I also don't understand why we can't wring more speed out of our bikes. It amazes me what guys in the UK can do with a 125.
Yes, I liked the '86 alot. I thought when I sold it with 150k miles (not sure kms) after buying the '93 new that I would notice a big improvement, but the '86 seemed like it was a better car overall for some reason :? Maybe the speed density vs. the mass air?

I have been bikeless for months after selling my Honda VT500. Thought a Chinabike would have replaced it by now, but nooooo :x

Sorry, CCW is the new company Cleveland Cycle Werks that we have been talking up a storm about on mychinamoto--they have a retro-styled bobber, the 'Heist', an upcoming retro cafe-racer called the 'Misfit' and the piece de resistance, the 'Hooligun' which is a Qingqi-based motard which is supposed to be available in a few months.

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #14

Ahh, yes. A new member here bought Tha Heist, and I think he's a member on MCM.

Sorry for the thread jack Doc.