Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 03:24 AM   #1

Oil Screen? Lifan LF 200 GY-5

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction of the oil screen... I'm not too mechanical at this point, though I have plenty of tools and hope this bike (and some helpful answers from you guys ) can help me with that.

So far Ive adjusted my clutch, changed the oil, adjusted the chain tension, adjusted the headlight and disconnected the singal blinkers that cause all the signal lights to blink when the brakes are applied (one wire, very simple). Still need to check the valve clearance, and apply loctite to a few more bolts. I also have some loose spokes that will need tightening very quickly...

Anyways I guess I should get back on topic here... I changed the oil today (which went well, aside from the bike falling on me when I was putting the drain plug back in cause we had a block under the kickstand to help it drain (more striaght up and down... maybe too much)). The manual I dont believe makes any mention of it, but the sticker on the side of the motor that says to change the oil at 300k when breaking in also makes some mention of the screen... How can I access this screen to clean it and where can I find it... thanks in advance...

Old 04-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Jim,
Look in front of your gear shifter ... see that big chrome cap? Be carefull when removing it as there is a spring behind it. Remove the filter and clean it, then insert it back in it's home, you're done!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Incidentally, as I loath removing the skid-plate, I normally use that opening to change the oil, rather than the other.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #4

Ok so I'm going to have to drain the oil out again I guess, thanks for the info (good thing the oil is only like 6 dollars, my dads victory uses an insane amount of oil)

Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #5

Well before I remove the cover, do you mean the big oval that says lifan, or the cap above with the lifan logo (lll), Im guessing the one that says lifan. (id post pictures but Im waiting for my gallery registration to be approved)

Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Jim,
The screen cover will have a large hex type head, 24mm and all chrome. It is located low on the left side of the engine and in front of the shifter. You may have to get down low to see and get to it.

Take a look at this pic:

http://www.eazys.net/GY200/drain.jpg

This may not be your exact engine, but it wil look the same and in the same location.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #7

Oh ok, yeah I see it now (the reason I wasnt sure was I just glanced at a picture of my bike, I didnt actually go out and look...)

I guess I have a few options now since I already changed the oil without cleaning the screen... I could wait for the next oil change, I could just change it again since it is only $5 of oil, maybe in 50k or so, or I could just lay the bike down on the right side (not like I havent done that :roll: )...

Is it just the screen and spring in there?

Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I would actually clean that screen as soon as possible. When I changed mine it was completely clogged with fibrous material from shedding new gaskets.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-03-2007, 02:59 AM   #9

Yeah I wasnt going to leave it much longer, I just did the first oil change at about 250km, whereas it says to do it at 300, but i skipped the filter because I didnt know where it was, the oil looked pretty clean though.... But I was planning on not leaving it more then another 50k...

Old 05-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #10

Just going through the threads, nice pic RPM, thanks.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverchip
Incidentally, as I loath removing the skid-plate, I normally use that opening to change the oil, rather than the other.
Ditto on that. I removed the skid plate the first few times and drained from the bottom. The last oil change I did I just removed the screen cap and drained it from the side.

Oh, and check your tool kits. Mine came with a nice handy-dandy little wrench that fits that screen cap perfectly. Nice to know if you're ever on a long road trip and want to change the oil in a WalMart parking lot.