Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs

Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #91

Drivetrain upgrade

Sprocket mod:
Increase rear sprocket to 37t
Decrease front sprocket to 11t
This will increase torque and decrease top speed. I bought this ATV for utility purposes not blazing down trails. It will haul a 4x6 trailer with mining gear in the woods to my claim.

Here are some pics.... will post more in the next days

Disassembly if it helps anyone planning this upgrade..

Remove the:
Wheel
Hub
Two large lock nuts
Washer
Two 10mm bolts on brake caliper
Brake rotor is on a spline just pulls straight off
Loosen chain and 4 large locking bolts to free it up.
Remove chain from sprocket via master link

Brake rotor off of spline

Shaft ready to be slid out to left. Be careful not to damage rubber bearing seals. Rear end is propped up on a tool box and hub/wheel removed.

Original OEM front sprocket with counter sunk face.

Size comparison. New rear sprocket is on bottom. The new sprocket fits the rear without any modification to the sprocket skid plate. There is still a small amount of room. Think it might be possible to squeeze in another tooth or two without modification. Any more will require some welding. You will also lose ground clearance at the rear.

Size comparison. New front sprocket is on top. It is of lesser quality then OEM. Threads needed to be chased with a tap for really bad paint over spray. The face of the sprocket is not counter sunk like the original to give the locking plate room away from the chain. Locking plate needed to be ground down on both edges for chain clearance. It just barely clears the nut head.

Finished install. Note the orientation of the sprocket. The groove close to the teeth should face out for correct alignment. Took a third try to get it right. The sprocket collar removes the same as the brake rotor. It is on a spline and slides right off. Loosen the 6 10mm bolts while it is still on the shaft for grip.

Hub slide stop mod. Use a piece of conduit exactly 6" 3/4 long.

Also loosened up all three shocks to the lowest setting. Made a large difference. Will know when I test all this out Saturday if more work needs to be done.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #92

That looks awesome! Where'd you get the rear sprocket and how much????

BTW, good luck on the mining claim! I'm surrounded by mines here in Volcano. Had to sign a doc when we bought that said there were active mines within one mile of our property. Love feeling the ground shutter under foot when they blast. It's a ghostly feeling. Reminds me of home when I was a kid.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #93

I call it a claim but it's actually leased property. No claims this side of the Mississippi. Still have good gold out this way if you know where to look. The way things are going with the BLM and EPA claims out west are slowly becoming less and less.

This is the front sprocket:
http://www.whygostock.com/taotao-rhi...ront-sprocket/

This is the rear sprocket:
http://www.whygostock.com/taotao-rhi...ooth-sprocket/

Will post some better pics when I take it for a test tomorrow. Might have to get a 530 half link to get better spacing on the tension nuts.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I call it a claim but it's actually leased property. No claims this side of the Mississippi. Still have good gold out this way if you know where to look. The way things are going with the BLM and EPA claims out west are slowly becoming less and less.

Will post some better pics when I take it for a test tomorrow. Might have to get a 530 half link to get better spacing on the tension nuts.
Show us the flash in the pan. You won't start a stampede since we don't know where you are...or do we? GOLD GOLD GOLD! bunch of C bikes with pans strapped on charging up the hill at 30 mph
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #95

If all goes well I will be on the dredge Sunday will post some pics of the cleanup shortly after.

If I remember right Texas does have some decent cheddar on the north western section of the state. LOL be forewarned before you investigate that rabbit hole is gonna suck you in the second you put your head in it. There is no escape from the fever once it strikes.

Charging up the hill at 30mph... LOL I'm kinda wondering with this new gearing what my top speed will be. Slightly quicker than a lawn tractor would work. Will know tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #96

Quote:
If all goes well I will be on the dredge Sunday will post some pics of the cleanup shortly after.

If I remember right Texas does have some decent cheddar on the north western section of the state. LOL be forewarned before you investigate that rabbit hole is gonna suck you in the second you put your head in it. There is no escape from the fever once it strikes.

Charging up the hill at 30mph... LOL I'm kinda wondering with this new gearing what my top speed will be. Slightly quicker than a lawn tractor would work. Will know tomorrow.
Hey, thanks. What ever pics you would share would be neat to see!

a shaker box belt drive China quad, Eureka!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #97

Hey guys sorry I haven't posted pics and a report yet. Life keeps getting in the way.. still haven't had a chance to try it all out yet.. hoping in the next couple days as things have settled down.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #98

I had some success today with the Mikuni VM26 clone. Right now I'm using the 112.5 main and 27.5 pilot to start with.

Had some issues yesterday trying to figure out why I had no idle adjustment and it turned out the throttle cable was a little to short keeping the slide cylinder up higher then it should be. Unraveled 1/4 inch from the throttle lever side after separating it from the collar that keeps the cable still. Might have been a little more then 1/4. Just keep unraveling until I had enough slack to work with. Snapped off the excess and pushed back into the collar. Have idle adjustment now. Thought I would share as I'm the second person this has happened to now so it seems others will run into this.

Will have to test out the ATV later in the week and tweak the screws. Not sure if these are the jet sizes I will stick with. I have on hand 30/27.5/20 pilot jets(might get a 25) and 115/112.5/110/100 main jets.

Need one of those tiny bit adapter angled ratchets to adjust the air/fuel mix screw ... duct tape around a flat head hex bit doesn't cut it. Either the exhaust or the head will burn you.

Adjusted the clutch lever to have free play and full engagement using the nickle rule. Place the thickness of a nickle in the opening of the hand lever at full out. It wasn't all the ways out and only a little off. The lever should be lose feeling when fully out. This is full engagement of the clutch.

On mine the factory setting was no good.

Last mod to do is the shift indicator display... this one should be fun.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #99

Quote:

Did you have to buy a longer chain when you did your 11 front and 37 rear sprocket change out?

Can't get the chain back together on mine Stock 12 front and WGS 37 rear sprocket on mine.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #100

Yeah bought a new chain at the same time. Figured it was a good time to retire the TaoTao one for something a little more trustworthy and handle the torque load.

Think it was a 119 link chain but I took a bunch of links out.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #101

Uprooting an old thread. I'll be doing my sprockets and chain this weekends.

So Darth, you have to pull the entire axle out from the left side to get at the sprocket?? Is that why you disassembled the entire right side assembly, not just for the spacer mod?? I take it the sprocket just doesn't slide off to the left by removing the left hub/wheel and 6 bolt sprocket collar......

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #102

Yeah it's how it was on mine. Would have been nice and easy if they put it on the other side of the sprocket hub. Was a head scratcher why they did it that way. No clue.

Don't think the chain would line up right if you put it on the other side.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #103

Quote:
Yeah it's how it was on mine. Would have been nice and easy if they put it on the other side of the sprocket hub. Was a head scratcher why they did it that way. No clue.

Don't think the chain would line up right if you put it on the other side.
Thanks for surfacing! Much appreciated. It's nice to know...in advance....what to expect. I'll just follow your lead and leave the mystery behind.

Thanks again Darth! :-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #104

It wasn't so bad to do... if anything it made me familiar with what the inside of the rear end looked like. And how to work on the rear brakes.

The end result made the extra effort worth it. Lives up to the name Rhino now with the extra torque. I'm sure you will think the same after you change out both sprockets.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #105

Quote:
It wasn't so bad to do... if anything it made me familiar with what the inside of the rear end looked like. And how to work on the rear brakes.

The end result made the extra effort worth it. Lives up to the name Rhino now with the extra torque. I'm sure you will think the same after you change out both sprockets.
Seems I have half-a-Rhino at the moment.
Mrs 2LZ and I hit the garage last night and ripped it apart. The rear end was a snap, thanks to your lead and to know what to do. Got it tore down, sprocket swapped and back together quickly.

On to the countershaft end (the easy end?), I got hosed. My sprocket came with the bolts and clip. I ground down the new clip as suggested....but the chain wouldn't clear the bolt heads. I'm not sure if it's the size of the plates on the Unibear Gold chain or what, but I need to procure some new bolts with 8mm heads.

I'm still curious to see how just the new rear sprocket does....and also, I'm going to try FLASHLIGHTBOY's technique of straightening out that rear axle. That crab-like stance really pushes the chain sideways.

2009 Q Link XP 200