Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #46

With those 4 shims on the needle you actually altered the points at which the needle jet/main jet are contributing fuel. You are coming off the straight section much sooner, adding extra fuel in the lower throttle range, and coming on to the main jet sooner than 3/4 throttle.

I also third the suggestion, go down or up one and note the results. You might think I am some guru, but I still have to experiment with different combinations. I just know how a lean or rich mixture feels and sounds.

I will say this. This is WHY the Mikuni clones are so popular. I had my Mikuni dialed in within a couple of days of tinkering with it and it pulled hard through every throttle position. Like you, I fought and fought with my PZ30 to even get it remotely good. Hence my desire to change carburetors.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #47

I had a jet drilled a little larger than a 120, would say maybe a 123 and now that the weather warmed up it would start bucking in 5th once the engine caught up to itself and was under little load. Started bucking at about 58 mph at about 7700 rpm.

I put the 120 main back and it improved but still was bucking at 62/63 mph at about 8200/8300 rpm. if I let up a little it would run great. I now put a 117 main but have not tested it on the highway. I'm sure a tad rich still on warmer days.

I will test this weekend on the highway and see. Bike did run great though on local roads and had it up to about 60 mph and felt great with 117 main.

I did try my fake Mikuni a while back with 27.5 and a 120 but something must be wrong with it because it does not run right, loads up and sputters etc. Think I got a bad one so just put the stock carb back because it starts with one kick. Also idles perfect and all throttle inputs are crisp and quick and pulls very strong down low and mid.

Again I have a modified Magician, pipe and pod filter stock gears and a 16 inch rear wheel. I'm at about sea level.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybike View Post
I did try my fake Mikuni a while back with 27.5 and a 120 but something must be wrong with it because it does not run right, loads up and sputters etc. Think I got a bad one so just put the stock carb back because it starts with one kick. Also idles perfect and all throttle inputs are crisp and quick and pulls very strong down low and mid.
I am about 1100ft above sea level, but I found the combination of 27.5 and 120 main to do the same thing on my last Hawk. Stepped down to a 115 and with the same 27.5 pilot and it was worlds better. A 120 is just too rich in warm weather.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #49

I'm about 800ft elevation, with the stock airbox mod and performance pipe. And mine's doing the same as Mybike with the 110 main. And the 110 performed really well in cooler weather and still does in the cool night air. So in my line of thinking a 108 is the answer. But I'm still gonna get a 105 and 112 as well because the main expense with JetsRUs is the shipping and more tunability never hurts.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #50

This is the latest fad and guys are claiming they work. Thinking about ordering one.

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 10-30-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
I'm about 800ft elevation, with the stock airbox mod and performance pipe. And mine's doing the same as Mybike with the 110 main. And the 110 performed really well in cooler weather and still does in the cool night air. So in my line of thinking a 108 is the answer. But I'm still gonna get a 105 and 112 as well because the main expense with JetsRUs is the shipping and more tunability never hurts.
Those other jets will come in handy once you P&P and deck the head. And you know you will.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Those other jets will come in handy once you P&P and deck the head. And you know you will.
Shhh.. I keep telling myself that's in the maybe category

Right now I'm still licking my wounds from buying the TBR7, so I can't even order the jets until payday Saturday. But you're right, I should probably throw in a 117 and 120 as well.

On other fronts the boat motor parts will be here tomorrow. The coil tested bad, no continuity through the primary windings. The condenser was rusty and I could tell the points had been replaced recently. Got all 3 on Amazon for $28 and free shipping.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
This is the latest fad and guys are claiming they work. Thinking about ordering one.
Not really the latest. A few of us tried them a while back and most of us either broke them or got rid of them.

I found mine to be wholly ineffective/inaccurate and impossible to tune. Then the teeny tiny tip on it broke off, making it useless.

who knows though, maybe they improved them.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Not really the latest. A few of us tried them a while back and most of us either broke them or got rid of them.

I found mine to be wholly ineffective/inaccurate and impossible to tune. Then the teeny tiny tip on it broke off, making it useless.

who knows though, maybe they improved them.
Thanks for the heads up Dan.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #55

I didn't even get a chance to try my fancy red pilot mixture screws; they arrived bent.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #56

I'm really wanting one of those titan cams. My bike is pretty peppy but it seems like it would be fun. And be faster than my friends hawk.. lol.

Just to do it. Maybe some chrome moly tubes. I'd prefer not to have to reseat the valves deeper, just because I have no idea how and would prefer not to pay someone.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I didn't even get a chance to try my fancy red pilot mixture screws; they arrived bent.
Completely unusable?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Completely unusable?
Probably. The tips were bent and I wasn't keen on the idea of straightening them. I could imagine them being weak from being bent back and forth and then breaking off inside the orifice. I chucked them in the trash.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Probably. The tips were bent and I wasn't keen on the idea of straightening them. I could imagine them being weak from being bent back and forth and then breaking off inside the orifice. I chucked them in the trash.
What's the turn around time you're expecting on replacements

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
What's the turn around time you're expecting on replacements
That was a long time ago. They were so cheap that I didn't bother reporting the shipping damage. They looked like junk to me, so I'd never use them.