Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs

Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #16

Yeah, i think i may put them on the 50cc, the stocker drums aren't that good and the extra track width will save me a mod that i had planned to do already.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Pete,
If you haven't already I would recommend a new(better) bearing in the mini hummer axle before you install if you haven't already.
T, wait a minute here...let me tell you whats inside those drums (stupid me its important)...each end has a bearing, yes, bearing. Inbetween those two bearings is a bushing.

It is tough to line up the 2 bearings and one bushing so it fits on the spindle.

I greased the axle shaft (spindle), pounded grease in both bearings, then injected grease as far as possible up and around the bushing, then installed them.

Are you talking about something different, or do I have it covered?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #18

I've found that the splitter style drum brake cables (present on our Beast and Monster) need cable lube to work smoothly. Maybe yours could be even better Pete.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I've found that the splitter style drum brake cables (present on our Beast and Monster) need cable lube to work smoothly. Maybe yours could be even better Pete.
Cable Lube=what? Graphite? Something liquid? Oil, Grease? Tell me and I'll go see if I have any.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #20

I use Maxima Chain Wax with a cable luber. Works great.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #21

Taken from the Giobikes site:

New front axles for mini ATVs model numbers YL 817 and YL 802 as well as older YL 816 (50cc mini Hummer). Parts come complete as pictured. Bushings are installed on the part already. Please note that there are three times (sic) of front C brackets :

1. Without front brakes

2. With front brakes old design

3. With front brakes new design

During checkout please select which design you are looking for.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #22

My onlt two choices were "with or without front brakes". I selected "with" and you saw what I got.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Pete,
If you haven't already I would recommend a new(better) bearing in the mini hummer axle before you install if you haven't already.
T, wait a minute here...let me tell you whats inside those drums (stupid me its important)...each end has a bearing, yes, bearing. Inbetween those two bearings is a bushing.

It is tough to line up the 2 bearings and one bushing so it fits on the spindle.

I greased the axle shaft (spindle), pounded grease in both bearings, then injected grease as far as possible up and around the bushing, then installed them.

Are you talking about something different, or do I have it covered?
I'm assuming we're talking about the back axle and not the front hubs/drums. What you described to me sounds similar to whats inside the wheel hubs as well.

The back axle shaft bearings seem to be weak, I know of 2 of the 5 I've been involved with that have already eaten them. I haven't taken the rear axle apart myself, so don't know exactly what's in there, but if you have one that is off I figured it be easier to put a new better quality bearing in it before you install.

There is something up with my mini beast back axle, haven't investigated yet, been distracted by other things.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
My onlt two choices were "with or without front brakes". I selected "with" and you saw what I got.
These Bigger style drums are pretty new, I ordered a 110cc hummer for my dad about 2 months ago and my uncle rode it and asked me to order one a week later, I checked the front brakes option on both orders, my dads came with the flimsy cheap set and my uncles came with the good ones.
I've ordered 2 more 110cc hummers since then and they both came with the heavy duty new style drums.

I'll check and see when that was, I bet you ordered yours before they came out.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #25

They started selling the new brakes between august 6th and august 20th.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost_addict
They started selling the new brakes between august 6th and august 20th.
Dunno about the brakes but John said I got the first of the new 110cc mini ATV's.
He did not even know they came with single exhaust until I emailed him about it. He then changed his advertising & descriptions.

So I guess anyone who orders one of these little rockets WITH the brake option will be getting the newer style brakes (ASSuming here).

I ordered another pair last night as spares. $2.00

Note: The mini beast larger tire diameter slowed it down a little and it got a shade less stable due to higher center of gravity but this has improved just from those crummy little 2" on front track width. Right now, the mini beast wheels are 50% outside the front fender, so even if I were to extend the front track width further, it would look stupid and spray crap all over the rider.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #27

Sorry, you waiting so long for my reply. The 110cc mini beast front brake is horrible. The brakes are made of cork but the back brakes are enough for a small little atv. I only use the back anyways.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #28

Well i finally put the better front drum brakes on my sons 50cc, and you are right PCD the bolt pattern didn't match the original front wheels that were on the 50cc. I did win a few sets of those mini atv wheels that gio had on auction that were silver and much to my surprize the bolt pattern on them was correct for the new drums.
I ended up remounting the original tires onto these rims for the front, now i have to remove the rear wheels and paint them silver so it matches as the rear bolt pattern doesn't match the silver wheels.
These brakes feel much better than the stock ones that came on it and i like the fact that the spindles have a larger diameter shaft on them, also the stock cables were almost wore thru from rubbing on the wheel, these are designed much better and theres no chance of that happening with these new cables.
All in all it was worth the few bucks to convert to these brakes. OK back to the shop, it's time to paint.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #29

Ok quad is all together now, it seems the new front brake hubs only worked with the silver wheels i won off the auction, lucky i had them, so i can see how you had problems PCD, with the different bolt patterns and center hole size, i wonder if in years past they had different front hubs since the silver wheels i got fit the new ( might be old ) front drum brake hubs and also fits the back of my sons 50cc quad.

( Sorry i think i also posted this in the MINI ATV FRONT SUSPENSION thread )