Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 03-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #1

VIVA 200 with CR250 rear shock and linkage

Well i took my viva to occotillo wells about 3 days after i got it, ignored the warnings about not beating on it to hard and ripped the shock mount about 90 percent of the way off the swingarm going top speed thru the whoops. lol anyway, i got back, ordered a cr250 shock and linkage :twisted: and have finally, 3 months later begun to install it. so anyways heres some pics, they are on putfile, its actually further along than the pics show but my welder broke and i have been waiting for a part to fix it so i should be able to finish it by this weekend im hoping.

btw i sat on it with it all snugged up, no more streetbike stiff dual sport, now it feels like when you climb onto a 2 stroke dirtbike

heres a link to the putfile page with the pics
http://www.putfile.com/scengineering/images/92359

[img][URL=http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5017863][/img]

Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Now That's a mod. I love it! Keep posting the pics.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #3

Ive added 4 update pics to the putfile page, they are update 001-004. ill add more as i get it finished, i will be doing tons of mods to this bike.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Where do you normally ride at? I'm out in the Mojave myself and regularly hit the Barstow and Johnson Valley areas. Looking forward to taking my bike down to the Imperial area this spring as well.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #5

We mainly go out to occotillo wells, i live in ladera ranch right now which is right by saddleback mountain. my buddies keep trying to get me to go up saddleback but the viva has been out of comission and my only other fullsize bike is a vtr1000. So i plan on going up there a lot, but i am open to go pretty much anywhere.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #6

I'll say it again...

If you are tearing up the bike, might be time to add another one to the stable, one meant for that kind of riding. Sure, the CR250 shock may do just fine, your work be excellent, and some other part of the bike fail due to taking it far past it's intended use.

Chinabikes are what they are. Sure, some mods will increase their capabilities and stay within the intended use. But there are some things they will never be at the present levels of quality {and I do expect that will increase greatly in the future}.

Welds can fail, even by the best. Do you think the chinese swingarm is made better? The frame? The castings?

I would hate to hear someone got hurt, or worse.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #7

First off let me say thank you for the warning. i build my own tube chassis's and whatnot so i trust my own welding and fab work to hold up to what i plan on putting it thru.

i dont plan on jumping it so im not really worried about it, honestly i think the real reason it broke is because i had to put my buddy on the back for a while cause he got his bike in to deep and i had to ride it out for him, then give him a ride out on my viva. im pretty sure that stressed the original swingarm mount, therefor causing it to tear when i hit the whoops to fast. secondly, the shock that was originally in there was WAY to stiff, making me think that i will be fine with this softer shock.

Im also planning on reinforcing the headtube and checking the rest of the frame, rewelding & adding crossbracing where i need to. I dont know what happened to bend that swingarm that way, but im guessing it was more than riding it through some whoops. :roll: i do know that since the entire frame is made out of mild steel it most likely will bend before it just shears off, so im hoping that will save me if something happens 8O

Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_c_engineering
Im also planning on reinforcing the headtube and checking the rest of the frame, rewelding & adding crossbracing where i need to.
i am planning on doing the same thing sometime this summer. I want to reweld some of the sloppy "mess" that was done, and also gusset some of the frame and swingarm.. granted the metal that is used in these bikes is pretty poor, so chances are that whatever you do strengthen, somewhere else will just fail possibly making it much worse in the long run.. but these bikes are kinda like bic lighters.. use it for what its for, then throw it away when its done...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
just one question. why not mount the shock anchor under the frame? and what about the missing part of the frame?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #10

well, im planning on fixing my welder tonight, so then i will fix the frame piece thats missing, and i had to mount the shock where its at because its to long to mount it anywhere else. and it actually fits perfect, clearance wise, where its at now. ill post up some updated pics so you guys can see the rest as i get it finished.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #11

btw just to clarify, the original problem was that the shock mount didnt extend thru the swingarm, it was welded onto the bottom, for the back end to give now it will have to bend the swingarm similar to the picture posted above. if im beating on it hard enough to do that i will make a new swingarm out of .120 wall tubing. i have plenty of it lying around i just didnt want to make a jig if i can get away with it right now, more of a quick fix as im moving out of the house im in soon and i need to get this thing roadworthy before i leave.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #12

and for anyone else that wants to do a project on their bike that has access to a welder and grinder i would highly recommend reinforcing the original shock mount on the vivas swingarm. i dotn know if the other 200 dual sports have the same swingarm , but if you take a look at picture dirt bike shock 001 002 on the putfile page you can see the original mounts. be careful if you ride hard because it is quite possible they will tear, and you will end up with a chopper till you get back to camp.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #13

Looks good! I think I would tie the top mount bars together, and add some gussets at the frame welds for good measure, but I'm guessing thats already your plan.

I wasnt questioning your ability earlier, just that other parts will take more abuse and possibly fail.

I build tractor implements as a hobby for trail maintenance uses, and have run into similar situations, nuf sed!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #14

cool, i didnt think you were ripping on me earlier!! im glad your watching out for peoples safety. Sounds like you have a fun hobby, i love fabricating things!! like you suggested i will be adding gussets, they sent me the wrong part for my welder (just went down to the garage to put it on and it turns out its the wrong thing) so it will be held off at least a few more days, i think im going to go to the electronics store tomorrow to see if they carry what i need. sure is expensive ordering parts from the welding companies, they have a corner on the market so they charge what they please :roll:

Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
Thanks, just wanted to know why. and I want to see it when it's all done.
and we have Vivas too.