Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 04-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #1

Total Gas Tank Failure

I've had the Hawk about a week now, and this issue only showed itself today as I was filling it at the pump for the first time.

Every time I put gas in the bike, I have used a small canister that I filled prior at the pump, and only filled it probably the absolute minimum to ride for that session. Today however, for the first time, I pulled up to the gas pump and started filling the ol tank, and just about as quickly as gas went into the tank, it started spilling out of the left side. A complete torrential stream. I had the fuel on at the time, but even after switching it off or to reserve, it still kept leaking.

Prior to filling at the pump I believe that the issue never showed itself because I kept filling the tank below the point that a potential hole is. A nice young gentleman who was also riding tried giving me a hand and we started looking for holes in the tank, but we came up with no answers. I'm gonna take the tank off the bike tomorrow and inspect it, but until then, anyone else have any ideas or did I do something wrong? It came from above the petcock, but beyond that I'm blind till tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

mine had a small leak at the fuel level float gasket. maybe they forgot the entire gasket or worse. I replaced mine with one from a TT250. (float sensor and gasket)
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)
2022 QIYI Coolster 3150DX-4

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 04-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #3

One of mine did the same thing when filling up most of the tank and like KenTaoyan said it was leaking from the fuel level float gasket. Tried different gaskets and just couldn't get that one tank to seal. I eventually gave up and just put in a rubber freeze plug to seal the hole, you lose the fuel gauge, but its been two years now and no leaks.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #4

Took the tank off today. Not sure what the piece I'm talking about is called, but the brass colored plate on the bottom of the tank that goes wayyy into it with the float and shit. One of the bolts on the bottom of that were loose and there was a direct leak out essentially. On top of that, the o ring that sits between that and the tank had a tear in it. Not too bad but I'm going to get a new one. I put the float piece back into the tank and put the bolts back on and tightened them in a cross formation and that seemed to stop it. I've yet to fill it with gas today but I am later and I'll update.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #5

Put some “seal all “ on it if you would like a little extra protection ,you can get it at a hardware store cheap and it is gas resistant and does work .