Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Build a small utility trailer for Zongshen Sierra 200?

I am interested in building a small utility trailer for my Zong so I can take the camping gear I want, when I go trail riding in northern Minnesota or on a longer backroads trip. I would like advice from anyone who has built a trailer for a light dual sport bike, or built a hitch for one, like the Zong.

I do not want a covered trailer, to keep the weight down - just something with a frame and sides to lash to - that I can put waterproof packs into. It also has to be fairly long for my tent cot (40" to 48"), and narrow for some mild single trail riding.

After looking at various trailer sites, I didn't see anything commercially made that would work, but bicycle trailers come the closest. Then I came across a You Tube video showing a homemade bicycle trailer that looks like it would be a good beginning point for homemade one. The video is entitled " Homemade Bicycle Trailer" and is found at:

If you read the comments section of the video, you will find a link to some plans, but the file type is a .skp file for Google SketchUp. I downloaded and installed the free SketchUp and exported the following .jpg so you can get an idea of what the trailer looks like like:

The hitch is a bit unusual, but looks like it would be lighter than a regular ball type trailer hitch and would work well. But there is no tongue on the trailer. So if anyone has any ideas for designing a tongue that would work well, how to make the hitch for a Zong or similar bike, and lights or has any other suggestions, please post your ideas.

One thing I really like about this plan is that is is a bolt together unit, which eliminate the need for aluminum welding, which I don't do, but would allow for easy and cheap refinements, which usually come after you use something a few times.

Anyway, thanks for any comments or suggestions. And this is REALLY a great site!