Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Here's my current, best guess concerning the engine design. Your ZS172FMM engine is basically a Yamaha XT200/TW200 engine. It appears Zongshen lengthened the cylinder 5.5mm to gain the extra 34cc engine displacement. In addition, Zongshen modified the cylinder head so the exhaust port exits the right side, instead of the left side.

Is someone wished to mount this engine in a Yamaha, or Zongshen 200GY-2 frame, he might have success employing a Suzuki DR200SE, or similar, exhaust header.

Spud
The bore is the cylinder they bored it out to 72mm a bigger cylinder into a bigger opening, the stroke is the length of travel and it seems to have remained constant. The head is not the same on the engines but marry to the same crank or it seems.

I would check the stator remove the cover and look at it, it may be or have corroded? The CDI has to be energized, the battery should do that it builds a jolt and puts it out for that first crank. Then takes it off the stator for the subsequent sparks and it times them....if it had a different stroke it would not share timing with an engine that did not have the same stroke.

The battery, the CDI and the plug all connection... need to be good and then it should start, then, the stator needs to be read it should be generating volts and if not and reads closed its bad. I agree in that a bad stator should not prevent a start, it would affect firing though while running.