Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Indeed, this bike has a lot of torque, and it requires judicious application of the throttle! I agree, the XR650L is well suited to cover the miles in the wide open spaces of Idaho, but it really needs a 4.7-gallon fuel tank to do it safely. I got about 55 mpg on this trip, which is quite acceptable, but the fuel pumps are few, and far between, in the rural areas of Idaho. Do you have a preference regarding the color of the fuel tank?
Spud
Tank...I like red.
Sweet bike, I really considered one myself, but went with the Skorpion.
On another tack...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...check the counter-shaft ASAP. A friend of mine bought a 2002 model with around 6K miles on it. Rode it in to work one day, started home and he said it was like the clutch suddenly went out...the counter-shaft sprocket had ground through the splines on the shaft :!: 8O Don't know if he's fixed it yet.
Turns out, this is a fairly often reported problem in forums. Usually associated with a gearing change and aftermarket sprockets.
That much torque and lower gears...

I've got to tear into the right side cover on the Skorpion soon. There's a reported problem with Woodruff keys spliting and letting the balance shaft meet up with the crank...with the obvious, ensuing demolition...
Usually associated with "vigorous" riding, but I don't want to ignore it and "hope it doesn't happen."
Good luck,
Bill R