Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Is saving money worth my life?? Something to ponder.......

Now that I have your attention, I have a topic of debate. As you all know, I have tinkered and tinkered on my Roketa to make it a better ride, better performance, yadda yadda yadda. I was out riding last night to road test the new rear suspension (which is to die for BTW) and could have easily been killed by my bike. Coming around a corner in town (luckily) I heard and felt something in my back wheel flopping around. I pulled over to find my complete battery box assembly hanging by the cables flopping around in my rear wheel. The battery box welds (if they even qualify as welds) had come apart and dropped the box, battery and all onto the rear wheel. If this had happened at 60 mph on a corner, I'd be done for. This is atleast the third battery box I have read about falling apart, and I check it every time I ride. Recently rear spokes have broken and popped tires at highway speed, swingarm bolts shear off, rear brakes are flawed from the factory and bound to seize if not modded. Guys and gals I pose to you this question. Is saving money worth risking our lives on these bikes? I can deal with sub par lighting, and cheesey front fairings, and plastics way to hard for a dual sport, but mechanically these bikes are dangerous. My bike only has 250 miles on it and all of those are paved road miles, so the chassis has not been abused. I don't see that battery box design lasting 5 minutes if you were to run off road with one of these. I'm open to thoughts and concerns. BTW, I will fix the battery box this weekend (going under the seat) and be out again as soon as the roads are clear! More snow coming tonight!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!