Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #1

R1 shock into Roketa. Install and pics.

OK, shock is in and done. Heres the pics step by step. Results follow.

So if you didn't see my prior post, I bought a 2005 Yamaha R1 rear clicker shock to replace the brick in my 2006 Roketa RSX200E (DB07A). The Yamaha shock was 9/16 in. longer and the top mount needed to be moved to keep the ride height stock and be able to use the complete throw of the new shock. Stocker shock gave about 2 3/4in of wheel travel. The R1 shock gives 5 3/4in of travel at the wheel.

Here's the two shocks side by side:

Stock top mount:

I cut up the sides of the stock mount where you see the white chalk lines, and bent the mount up to get the additional 9/16in of mount hole height I needed. Here's the stock mount cut and R1 shock bolted in:

Next I cut two triangle shaped pieces of 3/16in flat stock to fill in the holes in the mount. Here's the new mount with the triangles in and welded up.

Here's the shock installed for good.

Pic of bottom rebound clicker, and grease zerks I installed on the scissor.

Top compression clicker viewed through the side panel. It's a shame you can't see the shock anymore :(

OK, so I took the bike for a quick ride into town to gas up. I am 80% satisfied with the mod. The shock rides oh so much better then the stocker and you can feel the extra travel soaking up the bumps instead of riding on the bump stop all the time. The ride feels like a sport bike (because it IS now), stiff, but forgiving. I played around with the clickers a little and the dampening feels pretty good. The stock R1 spring is just about right for my weight of 210. I'd like it just a little softer, but it's a sport bike shock, and I gotta remember that. I popped over a few curbs at the local Price Chopper parking lot and it took it well. It's still no motocross bike, but I didn't buy it for that anyway. Overall, this mod is perfect for me as 90% of my riding is paved roads. If I was going after an "off road, big bump, fly over rocks and stumps" ride, this is still not it. Honestly, these bikes don't have the gearing or torque for that anyway. I am happy with the install and now I have a basically new (152 miles) stock shock to sell if anyone needs one. Mod on China bike brothers and sisters!!!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!