Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which YamaZong color scheme do you prefer?
KTM Orange 15 46.88%
Yamaha Blue 2 6.25%
Honda Red 1 3.13%
Stealth Black 6 18.75%
Desert Tan 5 15.63%
Kawasaki Green 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Bike look's GREAT Spud, I like the new front fender. That is also why I chose to stay with the orange. People have mistaken it for a KTM at least a dozen time's and one guy even was on a KTM at the time . Looking forward to the finished pic's
Thank you, DR. I like the refreshed orange so much, I might not even experiment with the Desert Tan.

Finding the current, correct color of Desert Tan required some searching. However, I discovered that the U.S. Military is currently using Federal Standard color FS 33446, otherwise known as “686 Tan”. Searching the internet, I discovered a good source for Desert Tan spray paint in the authentic, milspec color:

http://www.rapcoparts.com/spraypaint.html

This vendor is selling spray paint cans of “686 Tan” for $6 each. However, this seller also charges a flat shipping rate of approximately $12, whether you buy one can, or a case of 12 cans. :(

After conducting some computer graphic experiments with different colors, I have concluded that KTM Orange harmonizes very well with black. I am steadily becoming convinced that KTM Orange is the best color to match my black, Clarke fuel tank.

Also, it seems that the U.S. military is trying its best to eliminate black from all its camouflage patterns. In addition, the Desert Tan color scheme really looks best when it is applied to the entire motorcycle. Therefore, for the best “authenticity,” and visual effect, the bike’s frame, forks, rims, and even spokes, should also be painted Desert Tan.

I now have two complete sets of plastic for my YamaZong. Therefore, I can easily experiment with different colors. However, the front fender on a dual sport motorcycle takes a pretty good beating from the brush, gravel, mud, and sun. Therefore, I have come to appreciate the durability offered by my new, Polisport fender, which has the color molded into it. I won’t be able to acquire such a fender in “686 Tan;” therefore I would need to paint one.

The KTM Orange is probably more visible than the Desert Tan. The KTM Orange can easily be retouched with the excellent Krylon Fusion paint, which is designed to fuse with the plastic. If I stick with a "standard" color such as KTM Orange, I will never need to repaint the Zong's front fender. In addition, I have completed the KTM Orange color scheme for my motorcycle, and I would much rather ride than "wrench" on my bike! Finally, if I remain with the KTM Orange color scheme, people will continue to ask me about my $950 KTM motorcycle! For all these reasons I am just about ready to agree with the majority, and stick with the KTM Orange.

P.S. You won't have to wait long for photographs of the finished KTM Orange motorcycle; I am going to install my new orange tailpiece today!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894