Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

A silly question for the experts, can I adapt a hub motor...

Can I adapt a hub motor, to run a belt (or chain), to the rear wheel on a dual sport or similar frame? What I mean is a custom project of course, and where the hub powered motor would spin the wheel, stick on some sort of custom chain sprocket or belt hub/pulley, and then run that back to the rear wheel with another sprocket or hub/pulley? Would I severely bog the motor down doing this by putting on the larger rear wheel, or could I over come this with proper sized sprockets to adjust the ratios?

Why I am asking is, I was planning on building a custom electric bike project on some sort of dual sport / super moto frame... Maybe something similar to my old gy6. Looking at what is required and asking for advice from the experts, I can do the custom project though I may have a hard time fitting the batteries, unless I spend a fortune for the good lithium ones, but I would still be spending at least $1000 for a motor / controller. Add batteries, lithium ones, I hear depending on desired range will run me anywhere from $1200 - $3000, and there are of course many other costs to add in. I've found on craigslist though, an electric scooter, with a claimed top speed of 60km/h and range of 100km per charge (skeptical on this point), 1 year old with 420 km's on it. The owner is motivated to sell, it was listed at $1800 Canadian, but has been dropped to $1500 OBO, so if I could haggle a bit, it may be worth it to get that instead, and save some cash. From there, I have 2 options. Ride it as it is, or try and jerry-rig the parts into a dual sport chassis. I prefer option 2, and it also gives me a fun project, I just don't want to waste the money if it clearly won't work... Thanks.